1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just ordered and now reading about dead birds??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ttrjpbcz, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ttrjpbcz

ttrjpbcz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    PA
    Ok, I am in a bit of a panic! I just ordered from Ideal because they are the only place I could find the birds I wanted. They are in TX and I am in PA. I only ordered what I wanted, never thinking they would DIE getting here!! I must be an idiot??
    We have driven to get all our birds so far......as far as 100 miles away even, but there just wasn't anyone with the breeds I was looking for.
    I don't know how I would do with a box full of dead chicks!
    I ordered from Ideal btw and they said hatch date is Sep 10th, so when does that mean they will get here?

Thanks from a mama who has never mail ordered a bird or any animal for that matter!!

Tonia:)

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It does not happen too often since they do thousands of orders on a busy season.

They will be fine at this time of the year and it depends on the transportation as well.

Never had any problems with Ideal's method of transportation and YES, do expect some losses but not drastic losses that you lose to all chicks. Stress, lack of warmth, fewer numbers of chicks, diseases, and neglience on the new chick's owner contributes to the factor of dead chicks. However most hatcheries will refund or re order new chicks to the buyer's request within certain hours as it will state in their catalogs or websites.

Good luck! I had chicks shipped in from Pa and only had two losses. Not bad!

3. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    personally ive had a bad time with hatcheries but alot of people have had good deals with them. It is a chance whenever you ship something that is living but try not to worry to much about it. You should be fine!

Brandon

4. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i only lost one chick when i ordered from them... im sure u will too, they ship them out sept. 10th so they shuld be there by the 12th. best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I got my order of birds this spring and lost zero!

They made it to WA, in two days, during March, where temps here are usually in the 40's and damp.

For every bad, terrible shipping experience, there are probably at least 100 that go though just fine. You just rarely hear about the good, but always hear the bad.

I'm sure you'll be fine, if not, the hatchery will refund you or credit you even though deaths are often due the shipping process and sometimes the negligence of the people working in the post office.

Glad you are aware of what can happen though, and putting a few extras in is usually a good thing just incase.

Best of luck!

6. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    about 1 week before the 12th I would call your local PO and let them know you are expecting chicks. I had notified mine and they called as soon as the truck came in to let me know they were in at 3 AM.

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It's not very often that birds arrive dead. It's nothing to worry about. And if some of the chicks are dead, you can contact the hatchery and they usually give you a credit or a refund for the lost birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by