Just Ordered Chicks (for October 2nd)! Ack!

I was totally going to do the two bin split never even though about the reintroduction bit. Yikes... Ok Baby pool for my 25 sounds much better than having to reintroduce later thank you all for the advice on that.
bow.gif

I was totally going to do the two bin split never even though about the reintroduction bit. Yikes... Ok Baby pool for my 25 sounds much better than having to reintroduce later thank you all for the advice on that.
bow.gif

I've had to separate chicks due to various reasons, and I just place a hardware cloth fence to separate them, They can see, hear, and smell each other at all times, some have been separated for as much as a couple weeks. I have not had any problems with reintroducing them to each other. Even with different sized/aged chicks/turkeys they get to know one another, and integration is seamless.

I was thinking Like two very large Rubbermaid Size is ~3' x1.5' they would not be able to see each other hear yes smell likely as the bins would be side by side would this still be ok?

Personally I don't care for the Rubbermaid tub idea. I see it as too hard to micromanage the temperature inside them. You also need to consider they need about 1.5 sq feet per chick when they are 2 weeks old and by four weeks that's not enough room. 3 x1.5 feet would be minimal for two, two week old chicks. You didn't say how many you were going to put in them.

I was thinking Like two very large Rubbermaid Size is ~3' x1.5' they would not be able to see each other hear yes smell likely as the bins would be side by side would this still be ok?

I would not go that route, there just isn't enough room for 12-13 chicks. Anything less then 3'x4' for 12-13 chicks will get real crowded real quick. Remember that the waterers and feeders will use valuable space. And they are to young/small to roost until at least 2-3 weeks old from what I've seen, so you can't count on them getting up and out of the way for more room.
If you could give them a safe 5'x8' for all 25 that would work till they are 3-5 weeks and old enough for the coop and run. (Assuming the weather is warm enough.

Ok, humm, maybe the supermarket has an old water melon bin or maybe the refrigerator box is the way to go... All call my local appliance store see what they have from deliveries.

Good news!

After searching in vain for a cheap kiddie pool, I mentioned to DH that I was going to go to the hardware store this weekend and grab some materials to build a brooder. Well, rather than make his wife do the "man chores" he offered to make it for me! Really I think he just doesn't want to admit that I am better at woodworking projects than he is, LOL.

But, either way, I'm gonna get a big brooder, and I don't have to make it! Yay! I'm thinking 3'x3'x5' with a hinged screen lid and latch locks in case we want to brood outside in the future. Does that sound suitable for 25 chicks?

That's great news congrats, still trying to figure mine out called my local post office to give them a phone number for when the hopefully loud box comes

Novicepeeps, that's the part I'm most concerned about. I have two post offices close to me, and I have NO IDEA which one they will be delivered to! Plus DH will have to pick them up, since I work early and far away, so that adds another level of anxiety.

I figure I'll just call both post offices and leave my number, just in case...

Good luck with your new peeps; post pics when you get them!

Back
Top Bottom