Just Ordered Chicks (for October 2nd)! Ack!

Novicepeeps, that's the part I'm most concerned about. I have two post offices close to me, and I have NO IDEA which one they will be delivered to! Plus DH will have to pick them up, since I work early and far away, so that adds another level of anxiety.

I figure I'll just call both post offices and leave my number, just in case...

Good luck with your new peeps; post pics when you get them!

If you are getting the eggs/chicks from a hatchery, or someone on here, they should have ask for your phone number, if so, the number will be written on the outside of the shipped package, and the post office will call you.

I was hoping this was the case (I ordered from Ideal). I will still be calling the post offices, though. Better safe than sorry!

I called the post office today to let them know my chicks would be there next week (eek! ). The response I got was "Yay, babies! Of course we'll call you the minute they come in!" I love living in a (semi) rural community :)

I start mine in a brooder like this. As they grow I will put them in the coop outside but I don't give them access to the run until they are much bigger.

I prefer to use this coop for when they are feathered out until they are big enough to run in the run. For me it is a 4X4x4 pallet coop. I have other coops too but this is my favorite for the little ones. I live in Florida so I am not sure if your needs are different. Probably a bigger coop. But just to give you an idea. I did rear 25 in this coop once. Then I had to split the group and put some in another coop. This coop was always the favorite of the chooks. Ilike the coops up higher because I do not like stooping over to clean it. I also suggest you get some cheap or scrap vinyl flooring - it make clean up a snap. In the brooder, I like sand but in the coop I like Deep pine shavings and alfalfa in the nest box. You see what works best for you!

Good luck with your babies - they are awfully sweet!

Caroline

25 is a lot. They grow fast,

Your coop is SO cute! Ours is an old shed with a porch that we're converting. Not pretty, but definitely functional. I love hearing what other people are doing; it's all food for thought!

25 is a lot, but we live on one rural acre, and all but one or two of the roos will be going to freezer camp.

I will definitely post pics next week; I'm so excited!

This is the brooder DH just finished building for me. I sure know how to pick 'em, huh? He did a great job :)

Your brooder looks nice, but for 25 chicks I don't think it's going to last more than 2-3 weeks
hide.gif
after that you'll start getting crowding issues like pecking, etc.

Since you don't have adult hens you can always move them out to the coop with a heat lamp at that point.

Thanks for the advice donrae!

The chicks are going outside at four weeks; it will still be plenty warm down here for them to go out without their heat lamp at that point.

I really do think this brooder will be plenty big enough; if I wanted to (which I don't) I could climb inside there and crawl around. The picture doesn't do a good job showing the size.

Either way, I will definitely look out for crowding issues as they grow :)

Back
Top Bottom