just ordered chicks. I've never raised chicks. Suggestions.

Hi, I promised pics yesterday, so here you go. This is the plastic bin we have the chicks in. There are three pics. One is kind of a close-up. For the second I have backed out a bit so you can see the heat lamp hanging in the closet. My Sheltie Gracie is observing intently.

20200221_063528.jpg
20200221_063534.jpg
20200221_063554.jpg

Just remember to keep both ends of the tunnel open so no chicks get trapped without a way out.
Better yet, go flat....more heat contact space and 4 sides open for egress.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate

For the second I have backed out a bit so you can see the heat lamp hanging in the closet.
@BigBlueHen53 Have you checked your brooder floor temps?
(~85-90F on the brooder floor right under the lamp and 10-20 degrees cooler at the other end of brooder)

Last edited:
Hi, I promised pics yesterday, so here you go. This is the plastic bin we have the chicks in. There are three pics. One is kind of a close-up. For the second I have backed out a bit so you can see the heat lamp hanging in the closet. My Sheltie Gracie is observing intently.

View attachment 2032143View attachment 2032146View attachment 2032150
I have a tub like that but the lady at the farmer supply gave me a starter kit and said to clip it to the edge of the tub on one end. I'm just getting more confused.

I have a tub like that but the lady at the farmer supply gave me a starter kit and said to clip it to the edge of the tub on one end. I'm just getting more confused.

I'm not familiar with it, but if it looks sturdy, go ahead. Post a pic and get reactions here. There is no one right way. Everyone does what works for them. I can tell you now, I can see we have way too many chicks for our setup and are going to have to divide them real soon! Live and learn...

I use a plastic tub just like above and string a heat lamp from the ceiling and then also secure it with clips in place. I put food and water on one side and allow the warmer side to be used for sleep. They need to be able to escape the heat...and it's nice to have cool water to drink too. Shavings for bedding for mine...clean the water daily as they will prob kick into it. Get yourself a bag of meal worms and crunch them up in your hands and always hand feed so they know YOU are the super hero of worms. Eventually they will adore your presence. Let them eat the crunched up worms out of your hands...move your hand around...move fingers...let yourself be the normal mother hen :) Below is the temp gauge for babies I hear that is pretty darn perfect.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 11.03.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 11.03.20 AM.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom