just ordered chicks. I've never raised chicks. Suggestions.

How many chicks are you getting? What are you going to keep them in, in the house? We have ours in a big clear plastic tub in a spare bedroom. The heat lamp is clipped securely to the closet rod and the tub is partially in the closet mostly underneath it. There is a thermometer under it as well.

I will say that chicks are, um, messy! We got puppy pee pads to put in the bottom of the tub, and pine shavings over that. We change it daily - we actually have two tubs and two feeders and two waterers. So we make one clean setup and just transfer the chicks into it, then pull the dirty tub out of the way and clean it for next time. They are ten days old. We cut the middle out of one lid and replaced it with netting (duct-taped in place) because it won't be long before the start hopping/ flying out!

I think there are a couple of important things to know. First, as soon as you get your babies, dip their beaks in warm sugar water. I'll look up the ratio of sugar to water in a second. Let them tip their heads up to swallow, then dip their beaks in their food. Second, check them daily for pasty-butt, and if they start to get crusty, clean their little bottoms. They'll die if they can't poop. If you can't handle the ick factor, get gloves. Wal-Mart has them in the kitchen section, probably near the plastic wrap. I put a little Dawn in the sink with warm water. Be gentle but thorough.

Good luck and have fun!

ETA: It's 3 Tbsp sugar per quart of water.
Could you send me a picture?

Where does the closet rod sit and where do the lids go?
The closet rod is at normal height, about 4' up, and the tub lid is on top of the tub to keep the wee birdies from flying out. If the closet rod were any lower the birds would get too hot. It's just about right for them now but as they get older I will start pulling the tub out of the closet, more into the room, away from the lamp so they won't be so warm.

It should be outside. please make sure that the coop will be in a warm enough area. It really hazardous for a coop to be in the house.
Sorry but this is not correct. They should not be outside unless they are heated exactly the same as if in a house. It is not hazardous in a home.

You absolutely can not leave them for any amount of time without heat. They don't self regulate their heat until they feather out. When they ship them they are day old chicks.

chicks require heat. @aart who do you recommend for advice here? I can’t seem to call in @texaskiki

Also if you use a heat lamp, you want a red one, not a white one, because the white one is like giving them daylight 24/7. BUT! Don't get them a red one rated for heating food, like at a restaurant, it will have a red LATEX (or is it Teflon? Now I'm confused!) coating, which emits a toxic gas when heated, which I understand is deadly to birds. In fact, don't cook in Teflon pans with birds in the house, either. Anyway, get a red bulb FOR CHICKENS at the feed store and you'll be okay. Grr. This is me tryng to post after I've taken my sleeping pill. Somebody sober can help me out, please, I'm turning my device off now. Good night! 😜

Back
Top Bottom