Just picked up 30 free chickens

Still cant find the camera!
duc.gif

Well, 1.5-2 years isn't too old to lay, but I think the production will go down with each molt (please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I was told). Although, I can say that I got a salmon fav. and she wasn't laying at all when I brought her home... In fact, she was a very confused girl, who was trying to crow! After about a month and a half, she is now a very steady layer for me (I'm currently getting an egg a day!)! I honestly didn't think there was any hope for her to lay again - you've gotta know Sammy to fully understand my assumption on that
tongue2.gif
Good luck with your new birds!!

Quote:
Salmon Faverolles are such funny birds, aren't they? My other birds have big personalities, but nothing like my SF's do.

I have my fingers crossed that the 30 free chickens are healthy! When I got chickens from a farmer who had let their backs get bald from over breeding, they ended up being the ones that diseased my entire flock.
hit.gif
Just be extremely cautious! Check them for scaly leg mites, mites and lice in their feathers, any eye or nose discharge, rattles in the chest, any funny lumps (my birds got avian lukosis...contagious chicken cancer, passed through poop), and bloody poop (cocci) or any signs of worms in the poop/yellow foamy poops.

If they have any of the slightest bit of a runny nose or rattling chest get rid of them ASAP and disinfect like CRAZY. And don't forget, they can look healthy and then still infect your other birds as carriers of a virus they have already survived. I would also recommend putting in a sacrificial bird after at least 30 days of complete quarantine.

I only say all this as someone who lost her entire flock, including new chicks, to disease due to one crappy lying farmer.
sad.png
You really can never be too careful!

Last edited:
Thanks you guys. The newbies are quarantined on opposite site of property so they have absolutely no contact with my other girls. I have checked for mites and lice and no sign of any. Thier poop looks normal and no discharge or rattling so far. Keep fingers crossed they are all well and bare backs is from over population.

Ok, its been 30 days since I got the girls. Everybody is fine and doing good. Feathers still havent grown in yet, should of gotten pics today when I took pic of the turkey. Will get some tomarrow

27557_misc_018.jpg

All the girls are doing good. Have actually atarted getting eggs from them. Saw another posting for free chickens on craigslist but havent been able to contact the poster.

Back
Top Bottom