Just popped in to say Hi and Hello

Hopes4eggys

Hatching
5 Years
May 10, 2014
Hello, Pleased to make your aquantance & Thanks for letting us join your site, My name is lee My wife is vonny We live in the middle of Devon... We have a small house & a small back garden that we have just finished making over including building a chicken coup that is just waiting for some beautiful hens.. I am not keeping my hens for meat just for the love and for any eggs if we are lucky enough, We moved to Devon from London nearly 3 years ago where we kept 6 rescued chickens for a couple of years, We loved them dearly & always had plenty of fresh eggs, we stopped keeping chickens about a year before we moved due to a terrible fox attack that wiped all our hens out, At that time They had a large strong airy coup that they enjoyed during the evening & winter times During the day they had a high sided mesh day run just to give them more freedom but unfortunately the day run was not meant for night time & somebody forgot to put the girls away and sadly a fox got in & killed them all, we were mortified as they were more than just chickens. Anyways 4 years have past & now the new garden is finished the coup is built & we cant wait to find some fine hens to keep again, I am a carpenter with disabilities But have built the smallish coup with warmth, natural light good strength & as much usable floor space & branches for the hens as possible & Although we have some limited knowledge of keeping hens We in no way Know enough, so I hope to make a friends that can advise with any advice that have... I have been offered some 18mth orpingtons But although I have heard of them I do not know how hardy or easy to keep they are ect.. Will post some pics of the coup as soon as I learn how to... thanks for reading this, be lucky Lee & vonny x

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Lovely to have you on board. I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. Foxes can be terrible and they seem to just wait for us to slip up, don't they? Orpingtons are lovely, from what I've heard. I haven't kept any myself yet, so I can't tell you anything from experience, but you can read some owners' reviews here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/orpington

And here is a discussion on English Orpingtons that you may enjoy as well:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/386051/the-imported-english-orpington-thread/0_30

Enjoy the site and your new flock!

Last edited:
Hiya, Many thanks for your kind help, I appreciate that very much, I have checked out those links you gave me & I am sure they will be of help to me, Its a pleasure to have made your acquaintance & I shall look forward to speaking again shortly... Going to log of now as its an early rise in the morning, we get up at 3.am every sunday to go to our favourite bootsale in Exeter... Wishing you a splendid Evening, take care, lee

Hiya, Thanks for the message, Yeah I hope so too, Funny though when we lived in a very busy & suburban south London we were well away from any real countryside, yet we were plagued with foxes, foxes were absolutely everywhere I guess man must have run them out of there own land so they had nowhere else to be but in town, But now that we live in Devon in the south west of the UK its total countryside yet we rarely see one, In fact in 3 years I have only seen two, seen plenty of bunnies and sheep and cows lol but not many foxes, That's not to say they are not about... This time we have taken even more precautions so lets hope all will be good. Thanks again, Wishing you a lovely evening, lee

images

Welcome to BYC!

Oh, you will love the Orpingtons. Very friendly breed. My Orps are huge lap babies and follow me around like drooling puppies, stalking me for goodies and a nice soft lap.

You have been given some great links to follow. Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome To BYC! sumi gave you some great links to check out the Orpingtons. Sorry about the hens you lost to the foxes. Sounds like you have put together a really nice coop/run project, here is a link for putting up pictures https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/inserting-pics-in-on-the-new-byc

Thanks, I have checked out this link and it will I am sure help me loads, I am not a computer wiz but I can go back to this for reference when I need it so thanks again, cheers x

Back
Top Bottom