Just purchased 7 baby chicks

Congratulations! Stressed chicks, from shipping and moving to a new home are bad about getting their little bottoms pooped shut. Check multiple times a day. Put probiotics and electrolytes in their water and change it daily. Have fun!
The poopy butt seemed to just be on the fluff and not over the vent which is good. I cleaned it off. They didn't like that at all. I put alittle vinegar in the drinking water. They are definitely all eating. I assume they are all drinking. I saw two or three drinking.

Congratulations! I remember when I got my first day old chicks last April...and I'm trying to figure out how to ask for forgiveness instead of permission if I decide to get some more babies this year. :fl Have fun with them!
Its hard to resist the little babies. I had to control myself. Luckily the feed store only had 4 breeds at this time.

Last edited:
Sometimes they need a little coaxing underneath the heat plate, just gently place each one under with your hand and hold there for a few seconds, they then seem to realize its a good place to be!
Oops,edited to say that I meant to say also, to make sure its set at the right height so that they can push their backs up to the heat :)

Sometimes they need a little coaxing underneath the heat plate, just gently place them under with your hand and hold there for a few seconds, they then seem to realize its a good place to be!
Oops,edited to say that I meant to say also, to make sure its set at the right height so that they can push their backs up to the heat :)
I did put them under when I first got them but they came right back out. I just looked and they are all under the brood plate. :weeSuccess at last. I guess I can stop worrying about them so much

Back
Top Bottom