Just put a floor in the coop, temps going down down down

Where I live, 1” gaps have to be covered with hardware cloth, to keep out weasels, snakes, and rats. I’m not sure what pests you might have out there. If you have 1 sq ft per bird when you add up the vents and leaks, you should be good to go! With a lot of shovelin’, as you so rightly point out!

Where I live, 1” gaps have to be covered with hardware cloth, to keep out weasels, snakes, and rats. I’m not sure what pests you might have out there. If you have 1 sq ft per bird when you add up the vents and leaks, you should be good to go! With a lot of shovelin’, as you so rightly point out!

Yep, there's cattle wire with hardware cloth over it. We have heeler/terrier crosses that hate rodents, we see very few signs and keep rat bait in coops. No weasels here, snake season is over.

All around the top it's open (cattle wire/hardware cloth), with some OSB on three sides. One long side open. Then gaps in paneling and a total of 5 leaky doors. They're ventilated. And it's windy here most of the time except fair weather.

The birds free range, I shoulda mentioned that.

Sounds good, since air coming up from the floor isn't good in the winter...

But since you said the poop doesn't tend to dry, and since you said a few have respiratory issues.....

Are you sure you have enough ventilation?

One huge wire wall would be great.
That's right, if it's not drying and your birds are sick that is it.

Glad to see you have added a roof with a nice big overhang.

20's here too, but this:
upload_2019-11-13_19-10-45.png

Back
Top Bottom