Just put my second generation in the incubator!

Today is day 12. There was one egg that looked like it was slowing down. When I candled it a couple days ago, it was fluttering and moving still, but more slowly than the others, and the veins seemed less vibrant. I’ve been candling it each night before bed, and I think it quit yesterday. I left it in, but I’m not going to candle again until lockdown, I’ll see how it looks then. Last night, the veins were pretty dim, and that sometimes happens if the egg is small and embryo is large and I can’t get a good light angle, I’m not a pro, so I’m hoping it’ll turn out that I was wrong, but it didn’t seem that there was any movement and all the other eggs are moving and fluttering, very active. There was also that kind of slow slide of a shadow moving as I turned it trying to get a good light, and last time I noted that those eggs with a similar look inside stopped developing.

The good news is that the other 14 seem to be doing great! Ive set up the breeder pen with a new group so they will give me fertile eggs just as these hatch, and I’ll pop more in the incubator.

I can’t help but feel that people would have less pet problems if they started raising quail, in my house we feel the fun and excitement of pets and puppies and chicks etc, we previously had 3 very old dogs we had since puppies, and when they passed we were not in a place to get a new puppy, when we bought our current house last year, I got 3 puppies haha.

The surge of new chicks keeps that feeling of new pet excitement and potential in check, and we feel tremendous pride when eating a meal we raised ourselves. We don’t raise quail for meat specifically, but we have to keep our male numbers low, next year our females will slow down with eggs etc. it’s a delicate balance between pet and livestock, we have our favorites and they won’t be food, when Tiger Millionaire dies one day of old age we hope, he will probably get buried in the garden with Big Bird not eaten.

Having kids you see a lot of rehoming pets around town and school, people pass the word, like do you know anyone who wants a guinea pig, or rabbit. If I had gotten my kids a caged pet at the start of covid, instead of hatching eggs, I would probably already have a smelly cage with a sad animal no kids play with anymore so I would feel bad and have to Spend time with. Quail really are a great solution to pets available to play with vs kids getting bored, smelly indoor cage, and all the other pet stuff in between. Plus my kids are like little encyclopedias of egg knowledge now.

Ok time for lockdown, once it’s darker I’ll candle the eggs. I’m thinking of setting the eggs on shelf liner in a criss cross pattern to help keep the eggs from being kicked around by the early hatchers, last time they were flying around the incubator like pee wee soccer practice.
62C29A1A-826F-4E41-BF3C-18FAC49B2129.jpeg

After I candle tonight I’ll decide if Red is the guest of honor at a bbq tomorrow. I caught him pretty aggressively playing rapey chasey with the girls, they are kind of picking on him, but he keeps trying. If 14 eggs are still developing I’ll cull him and hope one of his sons will take the place as Big Red.

I have a strawberry container that I lined as well, I’m going to put the big matte eggs separate so I know which ones were fathered by Red and which are random pretty eggs, I’ll band the pretty egg chicks.

Last edited:
Well I candled, and so many of the small eggs are dark and cramped. I can’t tell which one I was looking at because I took out the turner and didn’t make note of where it was haha. I have 2 I’m concerned quit, I assume the original one was one of them, but they all looked further along then it was, so I’m not certain, time will tell. The big eggs are very clearly wiggling around inside, the smaller ones are probably like 10 lbs of potatoes in a 5 lb bag and I just see air cell and darkness in some of them and I hope it’s because they’re full of chicks.

Back
Top Bottom