Just Recieved My First Silkie...How should I care for her?

justmejulie

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2015
Florida
Tonight I recieved my first silkie (she is also my first chicken) . She is a 2 month old grey silkie named Henrietta, and i'm already in love with her. I want to make sure that she is taken care of properly, so I have a few questions:

1. I heard that their heads are sensitive.. What are some common things that could injure their heads? We are getting three chicks tomorrow (variety, and younger than 2 months) so I'm scared that they could peck at her and hurt her.

2. Are there any grooming methods that you would recommend? How often do you do this (If you do this)?

3. What sort of diet is best for a silkie? I've heard that regular pellets are too hard for them, but I don't know if that is true.

4. Are there any health problems that are common with this breed? How should I check to make sure she's healthy?

Thank you for taking the time to read my question, and any help that you can offer. I plan on getting some books to see how to take care of her, but I want to make sure I'm taking care of her properly until then. I really want to make sure that she's happy and healthy.

Silkies are a lot of fun. I have some myself.

They are sensitive to certain things, but they are also pretty tough little birds. I've lost some to predators, as they aren't good at running or jumping, and they need low perches because of it (they can get up with steps to a certain height, but they aren't good at balance, so perches should be wide and flat).

Their heads can sustain injuries, but not from pecking. They get injuries when they fall or something heavy lands on them, as happened to my chicken, Mavis, who suffered brain trauma.

Grooming includes trimming toenails if needed (they tend to over grow in silkies) and trimming head feathers. Head feathers only need clipped around the eyes, so that the silkie can see its food, see you and keep an eye out for predators. It is pretty easy, all you need are scissors. Trimming feathers doesn't hurt. You can read more on how to do it elsewhere.

Silkies can eat the same food as other chickens. If you are worried about pellets, you can try crumble, but it tends to go to waste more than pellets do. I feed mine pellets and they also forage and enjoy treats of scrambled eggs, bread pieces, and dry cat food.

Silkies are cold hardy and do well in the heat, but they don't do well in wet, muddy yards. They can also soak their beards in their water dish, though this isn't usually a problem if it doesn't stay wet.

They are friendly, fun and very soft to the touch, as well as cute! Its good to get friends for them, they do well in flocks. Silkies will do well with other breeds, but they sometimes don't fit in too well. If raised together they should be great, but sometimes getting another silkie who can perch low with them is nice. Just something to consider.

Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom