Will Salmon Faverolles and Brahmas run/evade if bullied?

Sunshine_Amy

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
Western Mass
Hi everyone,

I've got a small mixed flock in a large coop and run, and carefully chose my breeds to avoid any bullying breeds, but I still get some pecking order shenanigans, the worst being my Welsummer who chases after my Splash Ameraucana and plucks her feathers if she's bored. (She's fine when entertained, which I can usually provide, but I'm planning for the worst...) My Ameraucana has never had a bald spot from her, but she usually shrieks and runs away....

I'd like to add a Salmon Faverolles and a light Brahma, but I want to make sure that their passivity isn't such that they're more likely to get hurt than my current lowest girl. Are they likely to run and evade if picked on, or are they so passive that they tend to just squat and take it to the point that it's likely to escalate??

This is not so much a breed thing, as it is a hierarchy and individual personality thing. Personally I find it very rare that a bird would be so submissive as to not move when being pecked at, but it does happen. Not something you can know beforehand

i agree with fluffycrow. brahmas and faverolles are two of my favorite breeds, especially for their docile personalities, but none of mine are submissive to the point of taking a beating. in fact, i’ve found that those girls are higher in the pecking order than some of the others, and i’ve seen both faverolles peck their flock mates when food first gets put down.

it’s definitely up to the individual bird! but overall i wouldn’t worry, and i like your breed choices 😉

Back
Top Bottom