Just say no!!!

lcwmt

Songster
Jun 16, 2017
N Central MT
This happened today. I was at the feed store in the city , loading things into the back of my car and a very nice woman asked if I raise chickens. (What was her first clue? The heated waterer, the BOSS?)

Well, I have a small flock.
How many she asks.
11, says me.
Do you want two more? I'm moving and they need a home. They are in the back of my truck. Ameracaunas, just molted, are laying again. (well, I doubt at least 3 of those 3 "facts" presented there)

Yikes!!!

I exercised great restraint, did not look at them (Yay!, you know it would all have turned out differently had I seen them)

I bowed out: SO sorry, two age groups already, not enough room to provide for newcomers. My flock is just the right size for now.
I did not mention any other concerns......

She wanted to know what she should do with them since I did not want them (!!!) Really, a random person in a parking lot?
It was an exercise of restraint on my part.

Do any of you have similar just say no stories???

sylviethecochin

Free Ranging
Jun 14, 2017
Central PA
:eek: Stronger than me. :bow
x2. I'd definitely have looked, at the very least.

(I did, however, see a beautiful quartet of elderly Lavender Orps go at an auction for $4.00 each. English variety. I let those go, despite having four broody hens in need of exotic eggs. So I'm not completely lacking in self-control. I rewarded myself by buying a handsome 10-lb juvenile Pekin Drake.)

[email protected]

~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~
Aug 18, 2017
Caliente Nevada
This happened today. I was at the feed store in the city , loading things into the back of my car and a very nice woman asked if I raise chickens. (What was her first clue? The heated waterer, the BOSS?)

Well, I have a small flock.
How many she asks.
11, says me.
Do you want two more? I'm moving and they need a home. They are in the back of my truck. Ameracaunas, just molted, are laying again. (well, I doubt at least 3 of those 3 "facts" presented there)

Yikes!!!

I exercised great restraint, did not look at them (Yay!, you know it would all have turned out differently had I seen them)

I bowed out: SO sorry, two age groups already, not enough room to provide for newcomers. My flock is just the right size for now.
I did not mention any other concerns......

She wanted to know what she should do with them since I did not want them (!!!) Really, a random person in a parking lot?
It was an exercise of restraint on my part.

Do any of you have similar just say no stories???
Our new role model :bow

lcwmt

Songster
Jun 16, 2017
N Central MT
Wow. You have done the impossible.
I would’ve immediately jumped up and down and said yes.
Just a chicken keeper instinct that I can’t control. :ya

but, but, but!
10 females in 2 well integrated age groups, 1 extremely active rooster.... and no desire to build yet another coop.....
Believe me: It was an amazing, for me, exercise in restraint.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom