Just set my first eggs! Follow my progress here!

Quote:
Thats a great setup! Since you said you had to keep adjusting the light n stuff to keep the temp stable I wonder if you could wire up a cheap home thermostat to it. We bought 1 digital basic model thermostat at Home depot for our house for $16.99. Im not en electrician and been outa school way to long but I think it could work if wired right to the light????? I have an LG but I also have a few old aquariums laying around and am gona try this soon. Watching yours to see how it does. By the way I love your egg turner!!! Really state of the art in design and function! (worst part is I wouldn't a thought of it
yesss.gif
)

Thanks so much for your compliment. It really means a lot. I think I have finally solved my problem with the temperature. Here is what my incubator currently looks like:

Yes it may look like some sort of space craft, but it works! In case you cannot tell, that is foam insulation wrapped in tinfoil that I taped on all 4 sides of my incubator to keep the temps more stable. And boy does it work! My temps have been 100 degrees for 2 days straight! Amazing how much a piece of foam can do.

Unfortunately I cannot take all of the credit for that egg turner. I think I saw a diagram of something like it before on BYC and I tweaked it a bit to make it work for me (ie: Cut holes in the bottom for airflow, cut only 10 egg holders etc.)

Thanks for the thermostat suggestion. I have thought about it before and was actually seriously considering buying one until I tried the insulation. I am on day 4 and I don't know how you guys do it. This wait seems like it is taking forever!
pop.gif

I have a hatch due march 3rd in my homemade. I hatched 26 a week ago in it then reset with 3 doz RIR and 1 doz wellsummers. Also have 3 turkeys in there but they take 28 days. I hope this works out ok since i do dry hatch method.
best of luck with your hatch! I'll be following along. :)

I just finished candling 3 eggs. I only saw 1 egg with veins the other two had a dark red spot but I could not point out any visible veins. The one egg with veins however was an
almost white egg and the other two were blue and brown.

It is hard to see the veins in this photo. When I candle again on Sunday I will try to get better pictures.

Next egg. I couldn't see any visible veins, just a dark red spot.:

Next egg, couldn't see any visible veins. Just a dark red spot. That spot you see in the photo is just the air sac:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom