Just set my FIRST eggs!

brandyb

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 10, 2010
Summit, MS
I bought a Little Giant Still Air Incubator with the Automatic Egg Turner, and I just set 4 Partridge Rock eggs last night. I only wanted to start with a few eggs to see how it goes. I know I have to keep track of the temp and humidity, any more tips I need to know. I'm so excited, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Sure! That will be great! I am terrified too, that's why I only set 4 eggs. I didn't want to take a chance of killing more than that. So far the temp is holding at 99.5. Just keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Don't you want like 102 for a still-air 'bator?

I don't know??? The book that came with the incubator said 99.5. I don't have a clue, so if I need to raise the temp, is it to late to do it now? I just set them last night around 8.

It is confusing. I have a little borrowed incubator, one of those class-room domes with a fan. The manual that comes with it suggests 99.5-100.5 F, but also notes that still air incubators usually are set 1-2 degrees higher than that. I think we'll have to search around the list for an answer.

I think I'm gonna leave mine at 99.5 because I read the book again and it that is what it says and it doesn't say anything about a fan. One site I looked at say that if the temp is a little low then it will take just a few more days for them to hatch. So I think I'm gonna give it a try.

Quote:
I am getting so aggravated, everything I read says something different. I'm to the point now, that I'm just going to leave it alone and if it happens it happens, if not I'll try something different in a couple of weeks, maybe add a fan.

I hope you do well with yours.

I will candle them on day 7 or 8 and post the updates.

I think I would leave it alone too. I think there is more danger in too high a temp than too low. It would seem to me that if the hen were to err, it would be on the side of low temps!
wink.png

We'll just have to check at candle.

Back
Top Bottom