Just started being broody, should I give her access to nest box to lay?

As far as laying, I break broodies really promptly so they often still have an egg in the system. They'll just lay it on the floor of the broody breaker and I retrieve it from there. One egg on the floor won't ruin them to using a nest box properly once they've come out of the broody cycle.

I wanted to provide an update on my broody Olive Egger since we are finally passed her broodiness! In fact she was quite easy to break. Took 2 days of keeping nest box closed and carrying her around whenever she's start trying to get inside.
After 2 days she acted 'normally'...no more trying to get into nest box or sitting in there, no more clucking, or raising her feathers and getting upset at others near her. However, she did continue plucking out her chest feathers which made me a little worried because her belly is bare but I didn't know how to stop her anyways since she did it overnight while roosting.
Then today - 12 days after 1st sign of broodiness - she finally laid an egg again! I was surprised how long it took for her to start laying since I got to her on day 1.5 of broodiness and she was easy to break. Anyhow I just wanted to share my experience in case it's helpful to anyone in the future!

That's great. Thanks for posting an update, super helpful for anyone else in the same position.

So glad you don't have to deal with a broody hen anymore!
:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom