Just started getting my first eggs, what do I do?

Aloeverasaurus

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
I have a small flock of leghorn hens+two bantams, one hen and one rooster, and we’ve just started getting eggs from the leghorns. They’re laying normal, eggs look good and strong, all in the nesting boxes, but it doesn’t look like they care at all about the eggs? They don’t sit on them, which I guess is great for gathering purposes, but is this normal for leghorns? Also, do I wash the eggs? I already do, but I don’t know if I’m also meant to do something else as well. I also put them in the fridge.

I have a small flock of leghorn hens+two bantams, one hen and one rooster, and we’ve just started getting eggs from the leghorns. They’re laying normal, eggs look good and strong, all in the nesting boxes, but it doesn’t look like they care at all about the eggs? They don’t sit on them, which I guess is great for gathering purposes, but is this normal for leghorns? Also, do I wash the eggs? I already do, but I don’t know if I’m also meant to do something else as well. I also put them in the fridge.
Washing removes the protective bloom on the eggs, I personally only wash them when I'm about to use them. Put the pointy end downward if possible when storing.

x2 what TheWasp said. Eggs keep longer unwashed, with the bloom intact, pointy end down in the carton. We wash ours right before use.

That is also normal behavior for the hens to not want to sit on the eggs. Chickens are communal layers, meaning they lay on top of, or add to, what other hens have already laid in the box.

From there, a hen in your flock would need to go broody and have the drive and desire to sit on a clutch of eggs and see it through. Hormones in a broody hen kick into overdrive to trigger this behavior, and not all hens go broody. There are also some breeds that are more prone to go broody than others. (Leghorns being a less broody breed in general as they’ve been bred for the purpose of high egg production)

So if your goal is to hatch and raise more chicks the natural way, and none of your hens show any indication of broodiness, then you may need to find a broody hen, or add a breed of hen that is more prone to going broody. (even then, no guarantees)

The alternative is to learn up on using an incubator if you want to hatch more chicks.

If your primary goal is egg production, you’re all set with the Leghorns 😁 The Rooster can even pack his bags if he is not serving another purpose such as protecting the flock. A rooster is not needed for egg production.

x2 what TheWasp said. Eggs keep longer unwashed, with the bloom intact, pointy end down in the carton. We wash ours right before use.

That is also normal behavior for the hens to not want to sit on the eggs. Chickens are communal layers, meaning they lay on top of, or add to, what other hens have already laid in the box.

From there, a hen in your flock would need to go broody and have the drive and desire to sit on a clutch of eggs and see it through. Hormones in a broody hen kick in to overdrive to trigger this behavior, and not all hens go broody. There are also some breeds that are more prone to go broody than others. (Leghorns being a less broody breed in general as they’ve been bred for the purpose of high egg production)

So if your goal is to hatch and raise more chicks the natural way, and none of your hens show any indication of broodiness, then you may need to find a broody hen, or add a breed of hen that is more prone to going broody. (even then, no guarantees)

The alternative is to learn up on using an incubator if you want to hatch more chicks.

If your primary goal is egg production, you’re all set with the Leghorns 😁 The Rooster can even pack his bags if he is not serving another purpose such as protecting the flock. A rooster is not needed for egg production.
Ok, that info makes me feel a lot better! As for the rooster, he honestly doesn’t do much besides hanging out with the bantam hen😅. We have two giant turkeys that are always looking out for everyone, they’ve even fought off a fox! But he’s cute, so we’re keeping him.

Back
Top Bottom