Just started laying, is she already broody?

minamisfit

Songster
9 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Virginia
Okay so I have a tetra tint who started laying a week ago. I have a few golf balls in the nesting boxes and one of the hens pushed all of them into one nest. Usually after they lay they get up from the nest. But today she is sitting on her egg and golf balls lol! I went out and got the egg out from under her, it isn't fertile anyway. She's still sitting on the golf balls. Is she already broody?! I didn't think tetra tints went broody hardly ever!

Last edited:
Okay so I have a tetra tint who started laying a week ago. I have a few golf balls in the nesting boxes and one of the hens pushed all of them into one nest. Usually after they lay they get up from the nest. But today she is sitting on her egg and golf balls lol! I went out and got the egg out from under her, it isn't fertile anyway. She's still sitting on the golf balls. Is she already broody?! I didn't think tetra tints went broody hardly ever!

No.After laying hens sit and take breaks LOL!Is she Growling/meowing or pecking?And it takes a about a day or so for a egg to become fertile well wait to see the chick inside.You might see tiny dots inside yup its a chick XD.How old is she?Just because they say they don't go broody they can.Never had them though,but i know for fact they just don't try sitting.Maybe its rare,but they will go broody if they want.

Well, she might be broody. Does she puff up when you try and touch her? When you got the egg out from under her, did she fight you for it?

Well, she might be broody. Does she puff up when you try and touch her? When you got the egg out from under her, did
Well if she does puff up it does not exactly mean she's broody.It can sometimes mean stop bothering me.Hens HATE being fooled with while laying eggs.Now if she's puffing up when she's out of the nest and her wings are out and her manes standing.
th
Like this accept without the chicks or like this,
th
th

Last edited:
True, my hens puff up after I touch them. Do they puff up in the nesting box if they're broody and you try to touch them? I remember reading that somewhere.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom