Laying in coop and standing at night

Carladelida

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2023
South Jersey
Hey all 2 questions,
So my chickens just started laying eggs almost a week ago.
The 2 who lay I noticed are now standing on the roosts at night vs before they laid eggs they would sit. Why is this? Is this normal?
Also, one of them (olive egger) laid in nesting box twice but the 3rd time laid her egg in the corner of the coop (tbh hard to get to and worried if she keeps it up one week break in there)
How can I get her to lay in nesting box?
I put golf balls already.

Not sure why they're standing, but chickens don't sleep through the whole night so wouldn't be unexpected to see some movement.

The OE is also a new layer? Pretty normal for eggs to end up in the wrong spot once in a while, especially with new layers. Given that she's already used the nest box she knows what to do, so there's nothing that needs to be done with her IMO.

Not sure why they're standing, but chickens don't sleep through the whole night so wouldn't be unexpected to see some movement.

The OE is also a new layer? Pretty normal for eggs to end up in the wrong spot once in a while, especially with new layers. Given that she's already used the nest box she knows what to do, so there's nothing that needs to be done with her IMO.
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to reply and you were right. She ended up laying later on in the nesting box the same day. 😂 as a matter of fact, I was so proud of her because they were out free ranging and she went into the run and to the coop to go laying the nesting box 🥰

Back
Top Bottom