just started

msprague74

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Hello all.

Just got our chicks yesterday. I found the site while looking for backyard coop and run ideas. I am finding allot of great resources and look forward to posting our own accomplishments.

A couple of questions for the group.

What would be everyone's first words of wisdom to new comers to raising chickens in suburbia?

What would be the best way to keep peace between chickens and neighborhood pets (dogs, cats)?

Kids and chickens, should they be allowed to cuddle?

Can't wait to hear from everyone!

Mike, April, Ian (11) and Lily (4)

images

Welcome to BYC!

Congrats on your new chicks! They look adorable!!

I don't live anywhere near suburbia, so I can't help you with much on this front. However I would imagine you might let your neighbors know you are going to be keeping some chickens so they are not all shocked when they see a coop going up. LOL Keep it clean, I would not keep roosters as they are loud and will attract a lot of negativity, and definitely offer them up some eggs when the girls start laying! Who doesn't love farm fresh eggs!

Next, you might stop by our learning center here on BYC for lots of good reads on all the aspects of keeping your new brood...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

As for dogs, nearly every dog will see your birds as dinner. Lots of issues here on BYC with dogs killing chickens. So if you have dogs on the loose in your neighborhood, keep your birds in a run at all times. I can't let my birds out at all out here in the country because of all the predators lurking and flying. As long as they have a nice sized run, they will be fine being cooped up. You can get them out with supervision only.There is a thing called a Peck and Play. It is a nylon portable enclosure to put your chickens in so they can graze around outside in the yard. Very light weight and you can move it around. I woulds still always supervise.

Definitely let the kids in on the chickens. Start early with your babies get them out of the brooder, carry them around the house, get them on the living room floor...this will tame them up so that they are very friendly chickens as adults. My birds are huge lap chickens and just love attention and affection. Always wash your hands when handling fresh chicks and don't kiss them either. Babies can carry salmonella from the hatching process, but this wears off the feathers eventually. I kiss my adults all the time and they love it. LOL

Enjoy those adorable babies! If you have any other questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you some great advice. Also double check to be sure chickens are legal where you are, your town/city hall should know and check your HOA if you have one. Fresh eggs, keeping the coop clean, making sure the birds are confined, and no roosters goes a long way to happy neighbors. X2 you will have to have a predator proof coop/run if you have loose dogs or other predators in your neighborhood, racoons are really bad and there tend to be a lot of them in suburban areas. And it is always fun to check out your state thread for chicken keeping neighbors https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Hello all.

Just got our chicks yesterday. I found the site while looking for backyard coop and run ideas. I am finding allot of great resources and look forward to posting our own accomplishments.

A couple of questions for the group.

What would be everyone's first words of wisdom to new comers to raising chickens in suburbia?
Beware the chicken math, lol. Build bigger than you think you need - easier to build once than keep adding on down the road. "Minimum" space is just that - build as big as you can. Don't forget to relax and enjoy the experience - it's all too easy to get wrapped up in trying to learn everything and do everything "right" and forget that this is something you started into because you wanted to enjoy it.

What would be the best way to keep peace between chickens and neighborhood pets (dogs, cats)?
Keeping your birds in your yard and their pets out of your yard - knowing that they are technically liable if their animal enters your yard and kills your chicken is little comfort with regards to the dead chicken. Do you plan to build an enclosed run or free range the birds?

Kids and chickens, should they be allowed to cuddle?
I am firmly in the "yes" camp on that one - provided the kids are old able to respect the birds so that the interaction is safe and enjoyable for BOTH parties -- if you ask due to concern about salmonella, etc, just follow good standard hygiene (hand washing with no hands to face between bird touching and washing) practices

Can't wait to hear from everyone!

Mike, April, Ian (11) and Lily (4)

You've been given very good advice, the best thing is to make sure cats,dogs, neighbor's roaming pets CANNOT get to you birds in the first place. Neighbors basically don't give a hoot if their animals kill what they consider to be "just a chicken."

Even pets in your own home will be very glad to take out chicks especially - they are such cute, squeaky toys. Once the chick stops being active(dead) they just find another.

Back
Top Bottom