Just starting out in Indiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Frippi, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Frippi

Frippi In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I'm brand new to chickens, but me and my spouse are getting serious about having a few hens in our backyard. Right now I'm looking into getting a chicken tractor from someone in the neighborhood who builds them, and then I guess it's a matter of finding 3-4 laying hens. (I guess I'd like to start with grown chickens rather than raising them from little babies, at least for my first ones.) I've got a large backyard with a waist-high fence, so I'm imagining letting them roam around most days. Possibly with wings clipped, as the neighbor next to us has a dog.

My neighborhood definitely has wildlife, including foxes and raccoons. How necessary is it to be at home to shut the coop at sunset? Can this be fudged a little, or do I want to get an automatic door for the henhouse ASAP?

2. A.M. Eggs

A.M. Eggs Songster

Jan 7, 2018
    Wichita Falls, TX
    You can buy an automatic chicken door opener/closer. It is much easier and will save your worry.

3. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us!

4. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I'm not always out there right when they go to roost but I don't waste time getting the door closed ASAP. And it's very rarely more than 1 hour after they go to roost. BUT, my coop is also enclosed within an electrified poultry net. I just don't want to take any chances.

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Nice to have you here! I don’t have automatic pop door but I have a fully enclosed (with solid roof) run attached to the coop and if I know I am not going to be home by dusk I either put the chickens in the run and close the pop door as soon as I can or I ask someone to help.... Automatic door would be my go to if that would happen regularly

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your future flock!

7. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

8. Eggscaping

Eggscaping Enjoying Life!

Dec 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

9. Eggscaping

Eggscaping Enjoying Life!

Dec 4, 2018
    Portland, Oregon
    I believe that if you make your coop AND run absolutely 'Fort Knox' as far as protection, you can let the door stay open. I've seen folks post here that they have REALLY SECURE protection for the run and coop and don't worry about having to close the coop door then. BUT if you intend to do that, DO read several articles here about how much protection you'll need, and what sorts.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you joined us at Backyard Chickens :ya:ya:ya

DobieLover, fldiver97 and Frippi like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: