Just starting out? We are looking to get started raising chickens and we have some questions.

fendchicks99

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Big Lake, MN
1. If we are just getting started and want to raise our chicken for eggs, what's a good number to start off with?
2. Do we have to have a rooster if we want eggs?

Thanks!
frow.gif

First of all
welcome-byc.gif
! The amount of chickens you will want to get will depend on the amount of people you have in your family and how many eggs you will want. If you are looking for an egg a day then there are plenty of different breeds out there that will do this for you. You of course will want to have at least two, but I wouldn't start out with a ton in case you decide down the road that this isn't your cup of tea...of course this rarely happens! You don't need a rooster unless you want ferilized eggs. Hens will lay eggs without the rooster around. There are many excellent posts at the top of the forum labeled "sticky" threads that you should check out! Good luck!

Brahmamama said it well, and welcome to the weird wonderful world of chickens! Two chickens per person (looks like 8 for you?) is the standard formula if you each want to eat eggs every day, but a minimum of two or three if you're just testing the waters! Good luck!

Depending on how much space you have for chickens and how many eggs you are wanting a week will determin how many you need. We have 16 laying hens for our family of 8 and they keep us in plenty of eggs for the most part. Course we do lots of cooking so eggs get used alot around here. Plus we have 2 teen boys that can eat 1/2 dozen eggs for a meal.

You don't need a rooster unless you want fertilized eggs.

For us our layers are Buff orphingtons, black australorps, a black star, and cuckoo marans.

Cathie

Thanks everyone this is very helpful!!! Next question where is a good place to get chicks, my daughter and I want to raise them so that they are friendly and get use to being handled.

Check the farm & garden section of craigslist, ask at your local feed store when they get chicks in, or you can order from a hatchery such as Ideal, Cackle, etc. if you're okay with getting your chicks shipped to you.

Last edited:
You can check the BYC site for people near you, too. There's an auction forum, or you can search your location in the "Where am I? Where are you!" thread. Often people sell eggs/chicks. If you get ones from local people you might feel better about that breed doing well in your climate (chickens do pretty well, but if you get really cold winters or warm summers its nice to know others near you have a breed that fares well). Or you can just read through some of the posts to get an idea of the breeds others have near you (that's what I did). Good luck! And
welcome-byc.gif
!

Before you jump in, you may want to check ordinances where you live. There may be limits on the number you can keep via the city or county, and its best to know before you get started as it helps with planning. As others have said - minimum of 3 (they are social creatures and are unhappy kept alone. Two runs you the risk that if you lose one, you still have a lone chook. So 3 is the minimum I would consider to allow for the loss of one). Two per family member is a good equation. In my family I find we eat a lot more on weekends than during the week. With kids heading off to school starting at 7am, I don't have time to cook breakfast in the morning so all they get is a bowl of cereal. I might go all week without cracking a single egg. Then on weekends, I get up and make French Toast and go through a bunch all at once. You will use more when they are freely available than when you have to buy them. For example, if I make pancakes from scratch, I'll use 3-4 eggs because they're there, although only 2 would really be needed. I also boil up a dozen at a time to put in the fridge for snacks, or add a fried egg to sandwiches that wouldn't need it if I had to buy it.

As for where to get them, your timing is excellent. Chick Days are starting all over the country and they will be available at most feed stores and even some garden supply stores.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom