Just starting out with chickens.

chickpics

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 21, 2017
Malabar, FL
I"m a long time lurker, and finally registered. For years I wanted hens but couldn't convince the HOA to permit them, so we saved up, left the subdivision and bought 5 acres in rural Malabar, FL late last year.
Now I'm waiting for the call from the post office that my order of 15 buff orpingtons are here. Woohoo!

Thanks for having me.

Thanks! I actually wanted an assortment (like 1 of each hen) but I got scared after reading the pecking order threads and learning how smaller hens are a bit more vulnerable to bullying... so I decided I will start with one cohesive flock of gentle birds to learn the ropes, and then maybe I'll add more later when I'm braver and more experienced. Right now I just want to enjoy the birds(as pets), relish their eggs, and educate my kids in the process.

Thanks! I actually wanted an assortment (like 1 of each hen) but I got scared after reading the pecking order threads and learning how smaller hens are a bit more vulnerable to bullying... so I decided I will start with one cohesive flock of gentle birds to learn the ropes, and then maybe I'll add more later when I'm braver and more experienced. Right now I just want to enjoy the birds(as pets), relish their eggs, and educate my kids in the process.
You can't go wrong with the Opringtons. I even integrated 16 nine-week old California Gray pullets with my two adult Opringtons and there weren't any issues at all. They were living in a pen next to them prior so maybe that had something to do with it but I've never had an integration go so smoothly.

As a general rule I think you'd be fine with different breeds as long as they were all the same type - such as all large fowl or all bantams. The only case I heard of certain breeds having issues is when you mix some ornamental breeds such as Crested Polish with non-ornamental's. From what I heard and read the regular birds can't resist pulling the feathers out of their crests. Also the crested types usually have restricted vision due to the crest so they're more vulnerable. Other than that though I think in general you'd be fine.

My buff is best friends with a Rhode Island Red, so breeds don't always determine the pecking order in your flock. Most of my birds are complete pushovers though, so it works out.

welcome-byc.gif

BOs are on the top of my list! Great birds!

Greetings from Kansas, chickpics, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! My experience is more about the birds being raised up together - I have a very diverse flock with chickens of various breeds and sizes, but I've had no trouble as they were all raised together as babies. Just my two cents. Also, if you'd like to chat with some other Florida poultry folk, locate your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!
woot.gif

G’Day from down under chickpics
frow.gif
Welcome!

Congratulations on the new property and the opportunity to now have chickens ... Enjoy!

I hope you also enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom