Just walked out back and 3 coons were trying to get in the coop.

I seriously doubt a BB or Pelet gun would do the job. Or it would wound them and lead to a long drawn out painfull death. I do not believe in letting them suffer so I would not go that route. I will tell you though there are rounds made by CCI that are extremely quiet (CCI CB Short) and sound lke nothing more than a pellet rifle when shot from your 22 and it will do the job. As long as you are careful with your direction of shooting no one in your neighborhood would even know you shot a .22. I am not telling you to break the law but if you choose too this is the route to go. I guess I am pretty lucky. I can shoot my 308 Winchester or 45 auto in my back yard if I want too.

A bow is realatively quiet.
wink.png

CCI makes varmint rounds for .22's. They have a .22 casing with a plastic tip filled with shot. They work great.

Quote:
Excellent! Good shooting. So you are firing up the grill?
droolin.gif

CB caps are great. Shorts don’t make much of a pop either and work pretty well.

Last edited:
WTG. Hope they didnt make off though..22 isnt really effective sometime's.We blasted the last 2 We trapped with 5 4 R.DH Shot neighbor's dog twice with 22 over duck's and that lil buggar lived.And he was a Jack Russell.
idunno.gif
..We have used bigger caliber on some coon's before like 10MM pistol which are good at close range.I hope you got them because they will clear your bird's out and fast.

Quote:
In the right hands a .22LR is lethal to raccoons. It is a matter of hitting your target in the correct spots.

Ditto. That's what I always use. I don't even load the full mag either, I just put a couple of loose rounds in my pocket and drive to the bachelor pad to clean out the trap. Never have needed more than one

Trapped animals are super easy to kill, because you can simply wait on the perfect headshot to present itself, the animal ain't gonna move far or run away while you're aiming......if you need more than one .22 for a traped coon it's because you didn't place your shot right.

Now a moving dog at a distance is a pretty hard target, that we agree on.

There are large caliber pellet guns specifically designed for your purposes. Can't remember the name of them, but they are out there, and they are not .177 or .22, but bigger.

Quote:
Are you doing head-shots or body-shots? Everything I’ve shot with .22 shorts has dripped in its tracks. I do head-shots. Well, I did have one run about 30 yards. Couldn’t get a head shot so did heart lung. It was dead, just didn’t know it for about 10 seconds.
wink.png

10 mm. makes such a mess.
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom