Just walked out back and 3 coons were trying to get in the coop.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TCollier, Sep 24, 2010.

1. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Well I just walked out back and 3 coons were trying to get in the coop and I guess it is a good thing I have a semi auto 22. I got all 3 before they could get away. Guess they said heck with the small attacks one at a time they sent in a squad.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

That's 3 less coons to get your precious Silkies!!! Good job.

3. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Do they run when you shoot the 1st one? Good shooting.

4. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:OMG Reading this is my punishment for being late closing my run tonight, about ten minutes after it got dark.
    Glad that you took out all three; they won't be coming back.

5. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Yes the other two ran when I shot the first. Straight line at a large tree. Got the second on the run and got the 3rd going up. Nothing better than a good reliable marlin 22 semi auto rifle. Well it also helped I have a very large light out on the back of the house that give off a lot of light.

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    That's quite a `retirement party'!! [​IMG]

A good semi-auto .22 is a lot like a slow motion shotgun with a highly `adjustable' choke [​IMG] .

The reason we went from one to three box traps was our finding one coon in the trap and two more on the roof of the coop pulling up the shingles from the plywood.

Ours were as alert as I was bleary eyed so it was a good thing the Nylon 66 was fully loaded.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you should have let one get away so he could tell his buddies to get the heck out of your town. Just kidding. Great job - !!

8. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Great job!! My husband got one in the act last year but after it ate 10 of my chickens!

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Which is why I trap and shoot coons even though they have not been able to break into the coop since my last reinforcements --- they will literally tear the place apart trying!!!! Even if they couldn't get to your chickens through the plywood you'd still have to invest time, money and sweat into replacing shingles....darn raccoons!

10. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Thank you, thank you. Thank you very much! I always hope that everyone elses dispatches keep me from ever having to!

BTW,

Would a medium power BB/pelet gun kill racoon???

I live in town and we are not allowed to fire guns off...but I have been worried about coons as a whole family was removed from neighbors' boat parked about 50 ft from my coop, last year. I am pretty sure I could shoot BB gun w/o getting into trouble with the law. So was wondering.....

WAY to go there big guy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by