Just wander if pecking order starts in the clutch, before they hatch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6 littleHens, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 6 littleHens

6 littleHens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Hi,
    I was wandering if the pecking order starts in the clutch before chickens hatch? If the top of the order hatch first? [​IMG]
    Just thinking that if peeps in the eggs and eggs rolling around, they probably are socializing with each other in the eggs. And when situation changes, so does the order..

2. DKrueger4

DKrueger4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Michigan
    Probably not. It will take 1-2 days to establish the order. Great question. Made me think a bit. [​IMG]

3. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    youve been reading too many stories about dragon hatches and bonding/impressing with an egg etc......

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    When hen reared and incubated through hatch, they are imprinting on mom (and she to them while in the egg) and likely to each other. When they hatch and for the next five weeks or so while mother clucks to them I am unable to discern a pecking order. The day the hen stops clucking is when pecking order becomes evident and with my games it involves a battle royal that sometimes results in losses, especially if the dad is no around. I do not know how dad does his bit but chicks do not fight as much with him present. These are not the play fights but real knock down drag outs. American dominique chicks on the other hand also get into scraps but they last at most a couple of seconds.

Incubator reared chicks may have pecking order established earlier but it is not as clear cut as with older birds.

5. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    our thai babies have definate order in things; some of the younger males are standing and stancing around the older ones; how do i know they are males? they have that strut, the females dont seem to do that much... plus we have a few that hubby calls number one and number one junior... i hear a lot of flap;ing around in the older group's room recently and i did witness a young male kill a younger male with one strike of his foot... but hubby puts an end to a lot of the skirmishes if he sees them. he's the alpha among all the animals anyhow...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by