Just want to double check...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdlover, Nov 24, 2008.

1. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Hi all,
    I'm going away Wed. and returning on Friday. I only have one little cockeral (with an ear-piercing crow!) that resides in my bathroom until I can find him a loving, forever home. Do you think I could just put lots and lots of chickenfeed and water in with him and leave him for 3 days/2 nights? If he was a hen, I'd bring him along but there's no way I can get away with that the way he crows! Am going to my daughter's in Philly where she's going to law school and has a REALLY tiny apt.! She'd kill me! Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

except for the mess he will leave... I am sure he would be fine as long as he has plenty of water and food...

3. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    LOL I've got the whole floor and the window seat covered with newspaper. [​IMG]

4. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Yeah, if he had enough food and water, I don't see why he wouldn't be OK. Just make sure the toilet lid's down [​IMG]

5. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am pretty sure that he will be fine.[​IMG]

6. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Okay! I hope it all works out because I think that's what I'm gonna do!
    [​IMG]

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Please make super, SUPER sure that there is no conceivable way the waterer could fall over or get knocked over. Better yet leave him with two waterers. (Best idea, get someone to check on him while you're away).

It would be awful easy, and is by no means unheard of, for the animal to spill the waterer an hour after you leave and by the time you come home he's dead or permanently damaged by dehydration. Seriously, it happens.

Good luck, take care,

Pat

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I left my chickens (one roo and 7 hens) alone for 2 days and two nights at Halloween. I absolutely had NO ONE who could/would come check them. I put a ton of food, extra waterers, made sure they couldn't tip the water, and hugged and kissed every one. They didn't even look like they missed me too awfully bad and they are spoiled mommy's babies. [​IMG] He will be just fine.

9. birdlover

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Oh, that makes me feel better, "luvmy"!! Yes, I already thought about putting in not one, not two but THREE waterers and enough food for an army!! LOL Thanks, guys!! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

10. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I recently left mine for 2 nights/3 days and other than a huge mess (actually, it's what you'd expect for the coop/run not being tidied for that long:lol:) they were fine!

I left double the amount of water I figured they'd need (I actually went to the store and spent $20 bucks on extra waterers [​IMG]) and left out tons of feed and 2 flakes of alfalfa and they were good to go! I think they missed me though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by