Just want to triple check...Is this size of a cage a good size for my quails?

hantaehyun

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2020
I'm very sure on the material and all that. I did my research the best I could, but I'm still slightly doubtful on size, so wanted to get a clear answer!

I will have 4 quails. The cage size I was gong to buy is: (inches)
-Length: 30
-Height: 18
-Weight: 18

Is this a good size? Too small or too big? I heard having something too high isn't the best for them and too big is also not great...So...Help a new soon to be owner out in getting prepared to properly care for my new birds!

Am I good to go with that size? Any better suggestions for size so they are comfortable and happy. Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm very sure on the material and all that. I did my research the best I could, but I'm still slightly doubtful on size, so wanted to get a clear answer!

I will have 4 quails. The cage size I was gong to buy is:
-Length: 30
-Height: 18
-Weight: 18

Is this a good size? Too small or too big? I heard having something too high isn't the best for them and too big is also not great...So...Help a new soon to be owner out in getting prepared to properly care for my new birds!

Am I good to go with that size? Any better suggestions for size so they are comfortable and happy. Thank you!
Is that in inches or centimetres? I don’t think you can go too big, as long as you don’t make a huge aviary with nothing in it. hight either needs to be low ( can’t remember how low, I think about 18 inches ) or 6 feet and taller.

Is that in inches or centimetres? I don’t think you can go too big, as long as you don’t make a huge aviary with nothing in it. hight either needs to be low ( can’t remember how low, I think about 18 inches ) or 6 feet and taller.
Woops. Inches. And thank you!

Are your quail coturnix? If they are then it’s too small, the recommend minimum is 1sq feet per quail, I prefer 2sq feet per quail. and don’t forget if the feeder and waterer are in the cage they take up space as well.
They are actually different breeds. However, they were hatched together and have been raised together with no problems. 4 females. I am getting them at about 4 months old. 2 Coturnix Quail, 1 button, and one...Something smaller. She hatched like a day after the coturnix, but is noticeably smaller, like nearly half even, and a white and dark gray color. Honestly not sure what she is, but she had been raised with the others with no issues. Maybe she is just a small bird. These are coming from someone who had them as backyard birds for eggs and is moving and had to find them a new home. I got a week or so to set things up so I will try and look for something bigger/longer just to be safe. Thank you.

They are actually different breeds. However, they were hatched together and have been raised together with no problems. 4 females. I am getting them at about 4 months old. 2 Coturnix Quail, 1 button, and one...Something smaller. She hatched like a day after the coturnix, but is noticeably smaller, like nearly half even, and a white and dark gray color. Honestly not sure what she is, but she had been raised with the others with no issues. Maybe she is just a small bird. These are coming from someone who had them as backyard birds for eggs and is moving and had to find them a new home. I got a week or so to set things up so I will try and look for something bigger/longer just to be safe. Thank you.

If you post pictures of her somebody might be able to tell you what she is

I would say given the kinds you said you have that the cage is too small. It might be fine for a button pair. I would also reconsider keeping them all together. They might be ok now but as they mature you might run into problems given size differences alone. The behavior between the two are different too when it comes to pairing.

Back
Top Bottom