Just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LTygress, Jan 25, 2014.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Call me the "Crocodile hunter" type of wildlife expert in Georgia. I guess I know how to handle wildlife, up close and personal.

This little guy killed a hen being kept inside of a chain-link pen, ate her head, and left most of the rest of her body. I put her carcass inside the bait basket of a trap, and this was in it the very next day. He's just a baby (about half the size of others I have caught) and he was relocated through Animal Control. But before being transported off, I said hello face-to-face.

He sure does LOOK as evil as he is, killing off my favorite hen! But clearly, not THAT big and mean! (And yes, I was petting him, thus the hand on his head.)

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ever seen anyone bitten by an opossum and the resultant infection? I have.

3. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Actually, yes. I have. But I've been handling local wildlife for decades and never been bit.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Good thing it was playing possums they can inflict a nasty bite and really if you were familiar with wildlife for decades you would know handling them bare handed is a NO NO

1 person likes this.
  5. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Your a better person than I am because if I caught that around my girls he would of caught a shovel up side his head, hope it don't come back.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    At our house, it would have been the shovel (or bat or .22) upside the head, and there would be no question that it wouldn't be coming back.

7. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure you could find some recipes to try. [​IMG]

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I am with sourland on petting possums, if you keep petting those smelly slobbering marsupials with your right hand, I am afraid that sooner or later you will acquire a new nickname, Lefty. Take my word for it, possums don't stay sulled up forever.

While coon hunting one night my dogs treed a possum inside the body cavity of a dead cow. Do you want to know how the possum gained access to the insides of the dead cow?

2 people like this.
  9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Lol lol. I am cracking up.. they are no more that LG rats.

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Now don't be too hard on Pogo's grand children. I use to peddle possums around the neighborhood for 50¢ to $2.00 each depending on size. The other children though that I was rich because I received 10¢ a week allowance, so selling a live possum for two bucks was a financial wind fall worth almost half a year of good behavior.

Most of my possum customers penned their purchases in a 55 gallon steel drum or some other shipping container. Then they gave it a laxative to clean it out, and fatten their possums for a few weeks on sour milk and stale cornbread. This created a sort of self basting or "Butter Ball" possum. After catching a possum in a dead cow's carcass I immediately understood why someone would treat a perfectly good table possum like this. I also had to hide the fact that I had caught a possum, to keep my grand dad from eating up my [​IMG] profit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by