Just wanted to vent about eggs I got

TennesseeTruly

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Church Hill, TN
I love the looks of the bantam Ameracauna's (I know I spelled it wrong) I've been looking for some because I had gotten one in some eggs that I got from someone and she's a doll. Bright blue eggs, so cute!

Anyway, I found some that I liked the looks of on Ebay. Bid, won the auction, got the eggs today. Opened the box, at first them seemed to be well packed. Well I guess they were...too well packed, in fact.

The seller wrapped each egg, (which are more green than blue
sad.png
), in thin plastic. But they used about two feet of this plastic to wrap around each egg. Then used postal tape to close it. Hmmmm. Okay. First egg was horrible to unwrap. Plastic smells a bit, not sure of what it is, almost perfumy. Its also very gritty.

Second egg, I crack trying to unwrap; 3rd egg I broke trying to unwrap. All together I broke or cracked 5 of the 12 eggs. But the auction was for only 6 eggs so I'm still ahead. But then I candle them. All but two have detached air cells. I can't blame this on the Post Office. I may have done this trying to open these darn eggs.

I'm so disappointed. I really wanted these and these looked like nice birds. When will sellers learn about proper packing techniques?? I just contacted the seller about this. I've been SOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky with shipped eggs. I've really only had a few incidents of bad packing or bad eggs out of literally hundreds of transactions but throwing money out the window always hurts.

Anyway, I just needed to rant to people who understand.

Laurie

I just bought some silkie eggs off ebay. Well packed, but not a single one developed. I had another batch of shipped eggs in the bator at the same time, all but one developed. I contacted the seller, not asking for a refund or anything, just to let them know there was a problem with their eggs. Perhaps they needed to check their fertility before they sold again. they never contacted me, never tried to make it right. If it was me I would have offered a second batch just for the cost of shipping. Just for good customer service.

Shipped eggs are always a gamble, but I have never had none develope before. Ugh!

I just had a problem with some duck eggs from a BYC seller. I didn't buy the eggs from her on here and although I knew who she was, she had no idea who I was when I bought her eggs. After 6 days in the incubator, nothing. 8 days, still nothing. So I contacted her. She was so gracious. She immediately went and checked fertility and told me that her eggs have the bullseye so should be fertile.

On Day 10 I cracked the eggs. Most WERE fertile (had the bullseye) but had been rendered infertile (bullseye had never grown or developed) due to postal xraying, I'm sure.

The seller sent me half my money back, even though she didn't have to. It really wasn't her fault. So I'm repaying her by getting more of her eggs, Its a vote of confidence in her. I know she didn't do anything wrong.

Did you crack your eggs open?

Laurie

I have never packed or received eggs in the mail but if that person is going to sell eggs to people, they should know how to pack them properly for shipping.
idunno.gif

I was thinking there could be a "how to pack eggs for shipping" at the learning center here on BYC.
big_smile.png

I'm new here and don't know my way around the site to make the suggestion that it be added.
fl.gif

In the future i would like to offer eggs here. I'm sure I will be buying eggs long before I will be selling them and just figured I would see how the experts here packed their eggs and do the same thing.
It would be really nice to see how to do it right.
smile.png

Things like this are exactly why I haven't gotten up the guts to buy eggs that have to be shipped. Sorry about your luck. Some people have had luck with air cells reattaching when the eggs are allowed to rest big end up for a little while. Give that a try.

I did not crack them open, I should have. I do know what to look for. But I was just so disappointed, I just threw them out. I have never had a problem with eggs I have bought on here. I've had bad hatching due to temp problems, but alway decent development.

Wow. That is massive overkill on the packing of those eggs! I understand wrapping them so they don't get cracked, etc. But if it's going to be impossible for the buyer to unwrap them, then that's just stupid. Sorry you had a hard time getting them open. Did you try using a razor knife or and Exacto blade? That might have helped.

Shipping and receiving hatching eggs is always a "crap shoot." Maybe you could contact the seller and request packaging that you have had the best luck with. More often than not, if you are honest, the seller may be happy to help you out.

Quote:
The exacto knife was the 3rd thing I tried and I ended up puncturing eggs. When undoing the tape and unrolling them wasn't working, I tried scissors and loped off the top 4 inches and the bottom 4 inches of the plastic. Of course then you have to unroll them out of this longgggggggggggggg sheet of plastic that doesn't do much good if you're trying to keep air cells intact. The plastic was almost stuck to the eggs, like she had wet the eggs first. I thought maybe if I tried to push from the smaller end of the egg to the larger end, that would work...nope, only cracked the egg.

I thought, "ahha! My exacto knife" and got it out of my craft stand. But well that was a bust too. The best way to unwrap them is to just well...unwrap them. but the plastic is so long that you're turning and turning and turning the egg.

Oh and I did contact the seller. I wasn't angry but did tell her that I was very disappointed. I haven't left her feedback yet either. I want to talk with her first. I will suggest that she come here to BYC though.
smile.png

Laurie

On ebay if the seller has little "egg" feedback I'll ask how they plan on wrapping the eggs then if I don't think that their way is very good I ask if they would pack it the way I want if I win the bid...I just got 18 large turkey eggs from Texas not a one broken of course I won't know until this weekend how well they are developing...I asked that each egg is double bubble wrapped in either shredded or crinkled up newspaper packed with some room to move but not too tight either...there is no one way to pack eggs and the PO is not kind to parcels. I have gotten broken eggs because the box was crushed and still hatched some of the eggs you just never know.

Back
Top Bottom