Just when I thought I was getting pretty good at this chicken stuff

calicokat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
azalia, indiana
We started into chickens about a year ago with some older hens. You know how it goes . . . . crazy chicken math gets involved and whatever. Now I have a DD doing 4H and our flock is around 20 or so
hu.gif

Our first show was an open show hosted by our 4H group May 1st and we took a Buckeye pullet that we got as a day old chick at the end of January. DD was tickled pink when she came in first in her class.

Fast forward to last night. It's time to take the chickens in to be blood tested for the fair, and double check we have identified the breeds right and all (we ordered mixed variety of bantums.) I pull Bella out of the cage and tell the guy, she's been kinda acting "roo-ish" in the last couple days??? He says, yep, you have a cockeral there!

Should have seen the look on his face when I told him that "he" took 1st in his class of Buckeye pullets only 6 weeks ago
ep.gif

And now that the secret is out, I wake up to a crowing rooster this morning. Almost like the little poop knew all along and was just toying with us!
barnie.gif

silly chickens
roll.png

You would think. She was only 12 or 13 weeks at the time. What's funny is, she had one tail feather that was a little longer and had a bit of curl to it, and I thought that was odd. Makes more sense now
roll.png

Quote:
Gage, one of my blue partridge cocks has had his coop card "corrected" to "hen" by several judges (one of whom used to be a well-known silkie breeder). Trust me; he crows, dances for his ladies, and runs to protect them if one so much as bats her pretty eyelashes. He has a number of offspring.

Gage:
20590_gage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom