Just when you figure out who is female and male..

Quote:
Good idea..
smile.png

Quote:
Not always. Females can have big floppy cupped wattles and males can have flat pointed wattles (bad genetics)... and they both can have one of each! (Even worse genetics, lol). The 2 syllable buck-wheat or come-back call, or if you see them lay and egg are the only 100% proof positive ways to sex Guinea Hens. And even then, some Hens won't utter a buck-wheat until they are a year old!
he.gif

Peeps! Don't say that!
lol.png
With my luck I'll have one or two females like that!

With the way your luck started out with your keets... well, you've heard of Murhpy's Law Duckie, right? lol
hmm.png

One other way to tell the males from the females is (when they are at least 4 months old and all have color to their wattles) is to look at the red fleshy bump/lump on the nostril area, the male's have a much larger and more pronounced bump/lump than the females do, regardless of wattle shape or size.

Last edited:
I wonder if you could put a different colored ban on each one. Then you can tell each individual Guinea apart. Differentiating the males and females while spying on them will be a lot easier. Make a few notes "red band = female, white band = male, blue band = male”, etc. till you can tell which are which then just switch out for the color coded the bands males=blue, females = pink. I think that is the way I would do it.

Quote:
Yah that's a good idea too... I've just never had any problems caging and separating them and then letting the girls sing their tails off, lol. I do use different color bands (I get the combo packs of the neon colors, plus black, red and white). Sometimes I have to use combos of 2 colors of bands, and even put bands on the opposite legs since I have so many birds from 3 different bloodlines... and some of my birds have 2 bands on one leg and 1 band on the other, lol. But at least I know who's who!
lol.png

Both sexes will scream the chi chi chi call... usually when they are startled or when they see something new, and for no reason at all, lol
hmm.png
(But that is the only call the males make).

It's only the females that can make both calls, but they typically get stuck on repeat with the buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat...buck-wheat etc
he.gif

Uh huh... I have about 100 Hens right now, and they all get a chorus going, especially during Guinea/Keet sales, lol
roll.png

Hi all. So many of you hear buck-wheat but mine say "come back" Actually, only 1 out of 7 and she loves to hear herself. I figured since I hear "come back" it must be an accent deal....... lol. She also sounds like a squeaky outdoor gate that a kid would just keep opening and closing to make a noise. All the others are pretty quiet unless spooked about something.

Back
Top Bottom