Just when you think you have everything under control......

Missyschix13

Songster
Jul 9, 2022
Berks County PA
I was happily going about my chicken chores today. I left everyone out of the run to free range while I cleaned and filled waterer and feeder. (I've only been free ranging under supervision due to the increase in hawks later and even that makes me a little nervous). I can usually call them back easily when the wander too far. Today....all came back but one, Pickle. She's my head hen. I didn't worry to much I was right there and Stormy, my rooster, does a good job of keeping everyone together. When I finished, I sat in one of the chairs watching them scratch through the fallen leaves and just enjoying the quiet. ( My kids were inside, staying far away from me because I was doing "work" and they fear I might make them help. Lol) Once quiet time was up, I call my flock over and again all came except one.... Pickle. I put everyone else in the run, and focused on getting Pickle back in too. Stormy is fired up that he's missing a girl. Pickle takes off like a toddler with something they shouldn't have around the other side of the run. I'm literally play ring around the run with this hen. I'm shaking the bag of her favorite mealworms.... nothing. I'm standing still with a handful of the mealworms...nothing. She just keeps taking off like a track star. I'm frustrated and yelling her name hoping she will come to her senses. I finally knock over some chairs to block her and get her cornered. I pick her up and put her back in the run. So what did I learn in all of this. First, when dealing with any animal, you are never in total control. Second, hens are toddler track stars. And thirdly, it is VERY possible to yell Pickle in an angry tone. And here's a picture of Pickle.....for reference purposes.

Attachments

• 20221009_120516.jpg
    20221009_120516.jpg
    927.6 KB · Views: 96
I was happily going about my chicken chores today. I left everyone out of the run to free range while I cleaned and filled waterer and feeder. (I've only been free ranging under supervision due to the increase in hawks later and even that makes me a little nervous). I can usually call them back easily when the wander too far. Today....all came back but one, Pickle. She's my head hen. I didn't worry to much I was right there and Stormy, my rooster, does a good job of keeping everyone together. When I finished, I sat in one of the chairs watching them scratch through the fallen leaves and just enjoying the quiet. ( My kids were inside, staying far away from me because I was doing "work" and they fear I might make them help. Lol) Once quiet time was up, I call my flock over and again all came except one.... Pickle. I put everyone else in the run, and focused on getting Pickle back in too. Stormy is fired up that he's missing a girl. Pickle takes off like a toddler with something they shouldn't have around the other side of the run. I'm literally play ring around the run with this hen. I'm shaking the bag of her favorite mealworms.... nothing. I'm standing still with a handful of the mealworms...nothing. She just keeps taking off like a track star. I'm frustrated and yelling her name hoping she will come to her senses. I finally knock over some chairs to block her and get her cornered. I pick her up and put her back in the run. So what did I learn in all of this. First, when dealing with any animal, you are never in total control. Second, hens are toddler track stars. And thirdly, it is VERY possible to yell Pickle in an angry tone. And here's a picture of Pickle.....for reference purposes.
What a sassy girl! My girls do that any time they find something tasty that they don't want to share: snails, lizards, worms, frogs, big bugs...

What a sassy girl! My girls do that any time they find something tasty that they don't want to share: snails, lizards, worms, frogs, big bugs...
Haha, I wish that was the case....nope she was just running from me. Definitely think she didn't want to go back in the run. And yes, she is a piece of work. Lol guess that's why she's in charge. 🤷‍♀️

Every teenager I've had does not like to go to bed on time. It's almost futile to get them in.Yes, they run in the opposite direction of the door. Have 2 sets of 4, 17 wks. and almost 9 months at the moment. I do not let them out if I need to be somewhere before dark. Otherwise, I wait until then.

Thank God my Sapphire Gems are too dumb to even leave the run. Though I do have a 9 lb Jersey Giant hen that has notions every so often. Fortunately at 9 pounds she can't run too fast. :lol: She'll stretch that head out like a thoroughbred at the finish line but that massive body can go only so fast.

Back
Top Bottom