Just wry neck or also an injury?

Maine-lyChickens

Hatching
May 7, 2020
This here is Delilah. She is about 15 weeks old. We got her as one of 4 chicks for 2 broody bantam cochin’s this spring. They were great moms and raised their babies together and are now broody again. Last Sunday (a week ago), after pushing them out of the box, both moms attacked Delilah. After a lot of searching, I thought she had wry neck. I've been treating her with vitamin e and selenium all week. She seemed to be doing so much better. She's been up and eating and drinking on her own, just with really bad balance and a crooked neck. Today though, I noticed she hadn't gotten up much so I motivated her with some worms and realized she wasn't getting up because she couldn't. She's still eating and drinking and devouring mealworms if they're close enough to reach, but if she tries to move she just flails around. Is this part of wry neck or something else entirely? Are they maybe just sore from supporting her weight weird this past week? What should I do and/or give her?

First image is from day 1, second is from today. I have videos, but I don't know how to get those to upload.

Attachments

• tempImageAYIyx9.png
    tempImageAYIyx9.png
    5 MB · Views: 18
  • tempImageol6afp.png
    tempImageol6afp.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 14
How much vitamin E and Selenium are you giving?

In the first photo - was she injured - I have it circled, is that place still there? Why is she greasy looking?
Is her crop emptying overnight?
What's her poop like?

She may have more wrong with her especially if the hens attacked her.
She's the right age for Marek's disease to present.
Do what you can to keep her hydrated and drinking. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex. You can actually overdose selenium, so it's best to just give a bit of egg, tuna or sunflower seeds to help with the uptake of E.

1627959846454.jpeg

How much vitamin E and Selenium are you giving?

In the first photo - was she injured - I have it circled, is that place still there? Why is she greasy looking?
Is her crop emptying overnight?
What's her poop like?

She may have more wrong with her especially if the hens attacked her.
She's the right age for Marek's disease to present.
Do what you can to keep her hydrated and drinking. Give 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex. You can actually overdose selenium, so it's best to just give a bit of egg, tuna or sunflower seeds to help with the uptake of E.

View attachment 2783760
She did have a nasty swollen bump there that I was really worried about which mostly seems to be gone now that her head is turned back right. Still there but the swelling has gone down considerably and she doesn't hate me touching it. She's greasy from us trying to dropper meds in her mouth, which she hated and would shake off.

I'll cut down on selenium and start trying some other stuff to go with it! She's been eating and drinking really well.

It looks like she's struggling to get her left leg underneath her. It doesn't seem to bother her when I poke and prod at it but when she tries to get up it's like her right leg can't support all her weight and her left leg is stuck out to the side a bit. It works though because she'll push against my hand with it. She was walking with her legs out to the sides a bit before but her neck was basically turned all the way around, and as soon as her neck turned back right she seemed to lose her ability to walk. Could she just need to get the muscles strong and working right again? Do I maybe need to bind them together like splay leg?

I wouldn't bind the legs.

You can try placing her in a sling for several hours a day to see if that helps.

The bump is gone now?
We tried a swing, she kept tipping herself over in it. We might attempt a different one tomorrow. This leg just sticks out and is shaking. I've felt it repeatedly and I can't feel anything wrong with it nor does she negatively react when I touch it. She'll wiggle and flail herself around if she wants to relocate. The bump is still there but is considerably smaller and less swollen and she no longer reacts when I touch it.

Back
Top Bottom