Juvenile chick just died! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rainbowpip, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Rainbowpip

Rainbowpip New Egg

Apr 25, 2016
    Michigan
    So I had a chick die on me tonight. She wasnt looking good earlier so I brought her inside. No interest in food or water, her crop was full. When she died her eyes clouded over with blood and she had blood coming out of her beak?? Any ideas? She was a rumpless araucana. I'm so sad!

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

I'm so, so sorry! :hugs I honestly have no idea but hopefully someone else can pipe in. Again, I'm so sorry!

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    Oh that does NOT sound good. Sigh. Watch your other birds closely for signs of listlessness and not eating. They have a lot of experienced folk over here. Maybe someone will recognize the symptoms, sigh. I am so sorry for your loss and hope it is just the one bird.
    Warm Regards,
    Karen

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2

I agree, this is why necropsy would be prudent.

OP mentions that chick did not look good, the eyes filling with blood and coming from beak, but no other symptoms like coughing, sneezing, etc.

If the chick has presented with some signs of respiratory illness, would have leaned toward Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) which can have bloody mucous/exudes from coughing.

The only other thing I can think of is some type of poison that could have been ingested - like rat poison(?) but without testing, just can't nail it down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by