K-Mart advertises eggs for .99 per dozen (Limit 2)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blue Ridge Hillbilly, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    Makes you wonder how anyone can sell eggs for .99 per dozen and come close to breaking even. I don't know what kind of eggs they are but there is no way that I would sell eggs for that kind of money. That was in their newspaper insert this past Sunday, Jan 15th.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Many times, grocery stores use staple items such as eggs as a "loss leader". Gets you there and hope you buy other stuff too.

3. Blue Ridge Hillbilly

Blue Ridge Hillbilly Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Western NC
    I guess so. They may even be losing money on them just to get people to come into the store as you suggest.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Just imagine how gross, flavorless, pale, and watery they are. [​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Bet they don't look like yours.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yeah I had to go and buy Cub's doz eggs for 99 cents. Bought three of them and going to boil a doz of those flavorless eggs. It might taste even better if it is pickled LOL!

Hurry up my dear girls! I am HUNGRY for fresh eggs!

7. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

However, a look at egg prices on the commodities market reveals another possible explanation:

[​IMG]
    Note that these are WHOLESALE prices. Here's yesterdays market quote for eggs: (The first number is yesterdays price, the second is the price a year ago today)

Eggs, large white, Chicago dozen-U ... ... Closed 1.0750 0.9350

Source: http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3023-cashprices.html

OldGuy43's historical question of the day: What became more generally available that caused egg prices to start falling after about 1950?

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Mechanization of the laying industry. 100,000 layers in a house. Big trucks backing in grain at one end and other big trucks hauling out eggs at the other end.

9. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    I checked our local auction prices. Last week brown eggs went for .50 - 1.10 per dozen. I had to go back 3 weeks to find any white eggs and they went for .20 - .30 per dozen. So around here egg prices are down.

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio

I'll bite. Home refrigeration? (by this I mean a refrigerator in every home, not the invention of home refrigeration)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by