Kalmbach Starter crumbles, Pellets vs shavings, supplements & alfafla

Workingonark

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
Flock consists of (hopefully, someday) laying pullets
3 week old-2 brown ISA, 2 Light Brahmas, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Jersey Giants, 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes
2.5 week old-6 Assorted Bantams
1.5 week old-2 Black sex links

1) My chicks are currently eating the Nutrena Medicated chick starter-which to my un-trained (for chickens) eye looks like a great food. They seem to be healthy and are very active.
They are eating about 2.5 lbs of crumbles a day-which means that at $5.99 for a 7 lbs bag they are eating $2.14 worth of food a day. However, Purina makes a medicated starter crumble that comes in a 50 lbs bag @ $15.99 which would bring my daily feed bill to around $.80 per day. Today, I called my local feed mill. They carry Kalmbach 20% poultry starter crumbles for the same price as the Purina. However, it is not medicated. When can they come off the medicated? Can I mix it?

1a) I don't feed anything Purina in my house. Personal preference. My horses have been thriving on Kalmbach's Tribute line for 3 years and I will support Kalmbach until I hear/see otherwise. However, if everyone says that the Purina Medicated is the better way to go for now, I will cut it into the Nutrena?

2) Can I move the chicks onto pelleted bedding? I bed my horses on it (Wayne Davis) and always have tons available. They have been bedding on Wayne Davis shavings-but they are making a huge mess (daily). The shavings are obviously more comfortable than the pellets. Can I mix it?

3) Manna Pro makes a Poultry Conditioner. When can I start them on that? Is it worth it?

4) Can chicks have alfalfa? I have tons of timothy/alfalfa/grass hay that the horses would (unhappily) share. I also have quite a bit of compressed/cubed alfalfa that I could re-hydrate and feed them.

Last hatch (that consisted of 7 chicks) I bought one 5 lb of medicated and one 50 lb of medicated. When I started to get to the end of the 50 lb I started to mix it with layer pellets until they were just on layer pellets. You have more then my batch so I would go with two bags of 50 lb then start mixing (personally). As for medicated or not think its more of a preference.
Bedding..... DON"T EVER USE PEAT MOSS (even though you never said anything about it don't listen to the books in stores they lie). your house will become very dusty. You have a problem with messy chickens I think you can do a mix for bedding.
Manna Pro poultry conditioner. Never heard of it never used it. I don't think you need it.
I get bales of hay/straw in the fall when people think it doesn't look very decorative any more, but I only use it for nest boxes I don't think chicks need it until they are ready to lay.

Flock consists of (hopefully, someday) laying pullets
3 week old-2 brown ISA, 2 Light Brahmas, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Jersey Giants, 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes
2.5 week old-6 Assorted Bantams
1.5 week old-2 Black sex links

1) My chicks are currently eating the Nutrena Medicated chick starter-which to my un-trained (for chickens) eye looks like a great food. They seem to be healthy and are very active.
They are eating about 2.5 lbs of crumbles a day-which means that at $5.99 for a 7 lbs bag they are eating $2.14 worth of food a day. However, Purina makes a medicated starter crumble that comes in a 50 lbs bag @ $15.99 which would bring my daily feed bill to around $.80 per day. Today, I called my local feed mill. They carry Kalmbach 20% poultry starter crumbles for the same price as the Purina. However, it is not medicated. When can they come off the medicated? Can I mix it?

Hi Working
welcome-byc.gif

Great idea to switch to 50 lb. bags. Call Klambach and ask them. Can come off medicated at 6 weeks. Then go on grower/developer until they start to lay. Agway makes a good feed. I have dual purpose heritage fowl like you. T I feed them Agway 22% protein Meatbird crumble. Good for hatch to slaughter. Last season I fed my Sussex chicks a 16% medicated crumble and was disappointed with their smaller size. Found out this year I should have been feeding my Sussex no less than 22% medicated and no more than 24%. Because tho we use them for eggs, they are historically a meat breed. Your heavier dual purpose fowl should do well the same way.

1a) I don't feed anything Purina in my house. Personal preference. My horses have been thriving on Kalmbach's Tribute line for 3 years and I will support Kalmbach until I hear/see otherwise. However, if everyone says that the Purina Medicated is the better way to go for now, I will cut it into the Nutrena?
Don't worry about this. A non-starter for you, just call Klambach.

2) Can I move the chicks onto pelleted bedding? I bed my horses on it (Wayne Davis) and always have tons available. They have been bedding on Wayne Davis shavings-but they are making a huge mess (daily). The shavings are obviously more comfortable than the pellets. Can I mix it?
I think they are still a bit young for the pellets.

3) Manna Pro makes a Poultry Conditioner. When can I start them on that? Is it worth it?
No to both questions.
Use a chick feed with higher protein percentage instead.

4) Can chicks have alfalfa? I have tons of timothy/alfalfa/grass hay that the horses would (unhappily) share. I also have quite a bit of compressed/cubed alfalfa that I could re-hydrate and feed them.
Yes, there is a thread about this on BYC. Why's and Hows.

Last edited:
Here are some ideas from the Klambach Feeds website. Considering you would feed starter till 6 weeks.
Then switch to 22% till laying starts. Then switch pullets to layer feed and males to 22% broiler.

==================
22% All Natural Broiler/Chick Starter Grower Crumble (1050A)
Feeding Directions Feed as the sole ration to starting and growing broilers from 0-4 weeks of age,
replacement pullets from 0-6 weeks of age, and turkeys from 0-6 weeks of age.
http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/shopping/poultry/1050A.aspx
=======================
When they start to lay; 17% Hi-Omega/Hi-D All Natural Layer Crumbles (1717OMEG)
Feeding Directions Feed this product as the sole ration on a free choice basis to laying hens.
Do not feed this to roosters, the clacium level is too high and it can hurt their kidneys.
http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/shopping/poultry/1717OMEG.aspx
----
All Natural 22% Broiler Crumble Start to Finish (1039CR)
http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/shopping/poultry/1039CR.aspx
feed this to the roosters. Note how the calcium level is a good on for them.
Feeding Directions Feed continuously as the sole ration to heavy breed broilers and other
meat poultry from 1 day of age until harvest. Always provide shelter and a continuous source of fresh clean water.
Just ignore the slaughter part if you are not going to eat them.
=================or==================
you can put everyone on this until the pullets start to lay.
Show Poultry Grower/Finisher Crumble (160FOC) (medicated)
Feeding Directions Feed continuously as sole ration to growing broilers and turkeys
from 2 weeks of age until birds reach desired market weight (42 to 52 days for broilers,
and approximately 13 to 17 weeks of age for female turkeys and 16 to 20 weeks of age
for male turkeys).
http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/shopping/poultry/160FOC.aspx

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom