Kansas City area chicken ordinances - clarification needed

Chickortreat...hahaha. Dialogue is lost on you. Talk about bullying...an ax handle, really?. I just wanted to provide a differing opinion. There must be a reason that suburban areas have codes. Are backyard chickens a passing fad like potbelly pigs?

I agree, codes are needful at times. I was simply responding to your insinuation that YOUR property's value would be affected by someone next door getting some chickens. What if someone "higher up" than you moved in and took offense at your lowly decor? What if your Ford Taurus made them feel like the neighborhood was going downhill? I simply think the argument concerning property value is not valid.

As to the ax handle, it is reserved for times when there is no other recourse. I do not believe I have any right to come onto your property and tell you what you are or are not going to do. And I do not recognize you as having a right to come onto my property and telling me what I can or cannot do.

I just moved to NW Olathe (K7 & Harold) and was interested in having chickens, but according to info I found on olatheks.org, chickens were listed as farm animals and had special rules.
Here's the document: http://www.olatheks.org/files/Development/Domestic_Animals.pdf

I live in RP-3, which I looked up the zoning here:
http://www.olatheks.org/maps/dsPlanningNewExternal/

So, I'm thinking I'll just check w/ my neighbors and if none of them are against it, then I'm good. If some are against it, then I might look further into finding out exactly what the law states & maybe calling the city...or would I be considered an inconsiderate neighbor to those who might not want the chickens?

Sorry, but your choice of sites to post was a mistake. If you don't know anything about chickens, you really don't have any idea about what you're talking about. Chickens won't smell the neighborhood if they are well cared for. Which anyone having chickens should do anyway. Also, just a few chickens would be completely different than having a business with hundreds of chickens that can be smelled miles away. Someone keeping a dirty house can smell, a dog leaving poo can smell and anyone knows cats have a very strong smell. Chickens are a pet to many people. We love our pets, we name our ladies, Rita, Mable or Suzie... and they are family just as anyone would that has a cat or dog. We are not talking about 50 chickens like a cat lady. I am really sorry for coming on so strong, but you are really rude saying our pet chickens smell...Thank you

ov51, I don't really know why you would come onto a chicken website to complain about other people's chickens.... But anyway,
I have lived in Olathe my whole life. I have owned a few silkies for almost 3 years, and everything had been going fine. And then a few weeks ago we got a letter on our door from the city saying we needed to get rid of our precious hens. Turns out our neighbors behind us don't think that it's right for people to have chickens in Olathe. Our hens weren't causing a problem or anything, they just didn't like it that we had hens in the city. We called the city and asked them about it and what they basically said was that they (the city) don't really care if you have chickens, but if your neighbors complain then it's a problem. And our neighbors complained for no good reason! So now we still have our hens but we are keeping them very well hidden and inside some of the time. We eventually will move them over to my grandmother's house and go take care of them every day.
It's really a shame that some people just don't understand. :(

Kansas City Missouri. Chickens are a yes with neighbors ok. I believe 15 chickens are allowed but no roosters. My neighbor got signatures from His neighbors ( 100 yards from the coop ) and took them to the city.

As we will probably begin raising chickens in 2015 and we are sitting on about three acres within the city limits of KCMO how will that effect the raising of chickens? Never done this before so we are open to any and all suggestions. Thank you, Dusty.

Back
Top Bottom