Kansas City area chicken ordinances - clarification needed

I live in Olathe and am interested in owning some hens as well also interested in helping with getting an ordinance in place. I'm a complete newbie, haven't had chickens since I was a kid, but I love fresh eggs and want to be more self sufficient and less reliant on grocery stores.

I am new to Olathe and used to keep chickens when I lived in Paola. We got rid of all our chickens when we had to move because we couldn't move the coop and they were getting old. I thought about getting a few silkies or something but this place is completely overrun with wild cats. So probably not something I can do personally, but I would still be interested in helping you guys anyway I can with ordinances, etc.

Hi Terry,
I am guessing there's a thread for Kansas, and you might find BYC locals there. I know there's a MO thread, and many KC area folks there, but I don't know if Olathe peeps would look at the MO thread.

HELP! I was at the Planning Commission meeting last night in Olathe where the new UDO ordinances were being put up for a vote. I was there because of a change in the ordinances regarding chickens. I was able to postpone the vote for two weeks so that we could look at whether the wording and limits are optimal. If anyone gets this let me know what you think and how it would affect you.

The proposed revision adds the following: "Four (4) chickens per acre (no roosters)". It also states that this is by special permit if less than 3 acres and by right if greater than 3 acres.

The following explanation has been given: "To respond to an increase in property owners request to have chickens on their property Staff has included language to allow up four (4) chickens per acre. Chickens are currently allowed by right on a property three (3) acres or more and with a special use permit for properties under three (3) acres. The proposed update simply puts a threshold on the amount of chickens allowed per acre.

In addition the changes to the UDO include bird houses, dog houses, chicken coops, dog kennels, rabbit hutches, bee hives and other animal enclosures allowed only in the rear yard. Minimum set back of 6 feet from property line and a minimum set back of 40 feet from the nearest neighboring dwelling unit. Previously the placement of a coop was could be in any yard including side.

In many ways this is an improvement because it specifies clearly the rights and permissions. I would like to have greater clarity especially for smaller lots than 1 acre. Could we request to have something like one chicken per 1/6 acre which would allow 6 chickens per acre and allow lots smaller than 1 acre to have chickens. No - the proposed changes do not say how small a lot before no chickens are allowed but this would prevent the UDO from interpretation restricting chickens to lots greater than 1 acre.

Is the 3 acre threshold for having to have a permit appropriate for chickens ? or could we have that lowered to 1 or 2 acres. Then those lots could also have chickens "by right" rather than having tho get a permit. Is 4 chickens per acre enough? How many of you have at least one acre? I have roosters but am on 9 acres. I would like to allow roosters as does Lenexa and Overland Park.

Please let me know soon. I will be working with Planning to review this before the next meeting on Monday the 10th of July. This will then go before the City Council in August.

Terry

Sorry for reposting. I am just figuring this out.

Back
Top Bottom