Karoo Homesteading flock

Got the new pullets in a hurry, only got time now 20:00 to put them in their coop(separate from the rest) gave them my normal new chicken treatment, 1ml ivermectin on the back of the neck.

I then saw this poor one, the worst case of scaly leg mites I have ever seen. Treated with wound oil, ivermectin will kill the mites
IMG_20230821_193104.jpg

I got a great offer for all the remaining Sussex I have, they will be leaving shortly.

Im planning to get some more indigenous pullets, either some Herero, Ovambo or Venda, they are however very scarce. If im not able to, I will be getting some Boschvelders again(they were bred out of Ovambo, Venda and Matebele). All of these were chickens that survived in the townships with minimal input, very hardy.

We are moving to the farm at the end of the year(which is even more remote then where we are currently), and I would love to get some more gamefowl that I can mix in to give them a bit more fire(thanks to @Florida Bullfrog thread for large gamefowl).
Currently Im looking at Old English Game. There are quite a few bantams available, but Im struggling to get large fowls.

1693211975758.jpg

At first I thought of not bothering getting an incubator as I want broodiness in my flock and will just use the broody hens to be the moms.
However I need to get my flock going and in order to do that I need to churn out more chicks now then when my flock is established and I just want to maintain it.
Ordered a 30 egg incubator that will arrive tomorrow.

I'm still trying to get an American game, OEG or Sumatra, but I did get a nice young Asil stag. Have him in with the buff Sussex, RIR, Koekoek and Boschvelder. Will give it some time and then start hatching some eggs.
Currently I have a bunch of mixed eggs in the incubator. Some Koekoek rooster over Boschvelder hens, RIR hen and Koekoek hens. Also have some Indian game eggs in.
The little Pekin decided to get broody, so she has 5 Indian game eggs underneath her.
IMG_20230926_184027.jpg

IMG_20230926_184000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom