Kat’s Journey into Chicken Keeping

I never really gave it much thought about who the “top hen” in my tribe was, because they all co-existed in peace and harmony.
Now that Blanche has left us, it appears that The Queen has taken on the role of Boss.
And she is not nice! Queen (Elizabeth), sister to Princess (Diana), is MEAN!!
She scolds the other ladies, chases them from the feeder she is eating from, and is quite vocal about it. The other ladies don’t mess with her, either!
Blanche was a benevolent leader. Not this girl! :eek:
FF58EB68-9BC3-4241-B3C3-D79ED544CAB0.jpeg

I never really gave it much thought about who the “top hen” in my tribe was, because they all co-existed in peace and harmony.
Now that Blanche has left us, it appears that The Queen has taken on the role of Boss.
And she is not nice! Queen (Elizabeth), sister to Princess (Diana), is MEAN!!
She scolds the other ladies, chases them from the feeder she is eating from, and is quite vocal about it. The other ladies don’t mess with her, either!
Blanche was a benevolent leader. Not this girl! :eek:View attachment 2948676
It's funny how a good leader is hard to notice. I suspect that many people who have trouble identifying their pecking order have good leaders.

This is just my feeling,,,,
When a new leader comes up fresh in the ranks,,, I think they have to show authority to be recognized as NEW BOSS. As long as she just does that and not hurt other hens,,,, :old 👍
I think she will mellow out in short order. :thumbsup

On another thought and observation that I have noticed over the years.
Whenever I would add new flock members,, The existing flocks' lowest member on the pecking order, seemed to be the meanest one to newcomer. My theory,,,,,, the lowest did not want to stay at the bottom, and intimidated the newcomer to be the "NEW LOW" :idunno..
Anyone else here noticed same in your flock???

When a new leader comes up fresh in the ranks,,, I think they have to show authority to be recognized as NEW BOSS. As long as she just does that and not hurt other hens,,,, :old 👍

Whenever I would add new flock members,, The existing flocks' lowest member on the pecking order, seemed to be the meanest one to newcomer. My theory,,,,,, the lowest did not want to stay at the bottom, and intimidated the newcomer to be the "NEW LOW" :idunno..
I've had similar experience

This makes a lot of sense.

Yep. I had a lone bantam for a while & no way was she staying on the bottom when I added new girls!

Back
Top Bottom