Kat’s Journey into Chicken Keeping

Pics
After the incident last October when we lost four of our pullets to a predator during the night, we put up a camera focused on the coop.
We never saw anything but a cat once or twice and our dogs out for a bedtime pit stop.

Then the last two nights this guy appeared.
06218098-6EE1-44AA-953C-803D50DC46A2.jpeg
(He’s by the door on the left)

So tonight I set the trap. I threw peas and a piece of bread inside.
Bingo!
BE2F8805-FE04-4B02-9ED7-1DFD608D9DD9.jpeg BF79D428-9073-4154-9ECE-75C07233D258.jpeg
It’s a Possum and he’s angry with me.

Tomorrow he’s going for a ride in the car. He’s moving to a nice wooded location in the next town.
🦡🌲🌳

Last edited:
After the incident last October when we lost four of our pullets to a predator during the night, we put up a camera focused on the coop.
We never saw anything but a cat once or twice and our dogs out for a bedtime pit stop.

Then the last two nights this guy appeared.
View attachment 2535949
(He’s by the door on the left)

So tonight I set the trap. I threw peas and a piece of bread inside.
Bingo!
View attachment 2535953View attachment 2535954
It’s a Possum and he’s angry with me.

Tomorrow he’s going for a ride in the car. He’s moving to a nice wooded location in the next town.
🦡🌲🌳
Be careful with it Kat...those buggers are vicious! I'm glad that you caught it! We had one kill some of our kittens when I was younger...my grandmother took care of it!

Be careful with it Kat...those buggers are vicious! I'm glad that you caught it! We had one kill some of our kittens when I was younger...my grandmother took care of it!
I know, don’t worry, I don’t have to get near him when I open the trap.
I trapped three of them last summer by the pond where the duck house is. They were devouring all the duck’s food!
I bring them to an area in the woods by a creek. It’s far from here and they have water while settling in to their new digs.

I know, don’t worry, I don’t have to get near him when I open the trap.
I trapped three of them last summer by the pond where the duck house is. They were devouring all the duck’s food!
I bring them to an area in the woods by a creek. It’s far from here and they have water while settling in to their new digs.
Wow, that's a bunch! It's good that you have a place to take them!

This morning I took my little friend to his new home. I have no pictures of his actual release because he beat feet out of that cage and into the underbrush. 5420E392-A69F-4629-ADDC-8CAF824658B4.jpeg A8842748-6A09-4A4F-AB8E-CA0DFFAF2FCE.jpeg

When I went out this morning I thought the little guy was dead because the dogs were all gathered around the trap and he was laying over, still, eyes half open and glazed over looking. He didn’t move.
But I didn’t trust him so I took him all the way to my favorite release spot.
He was very much alive when I opened the trap door!
They really do “play possum”!
:eek::lau

This morning I took my little friend to his new home. I have no pictures of his actual release because he beat feet out of that cage and into the underbrush.View attachment 2536474View attachment 2536475

When I went out this morning I thought the little guy was dead because the dogs were all gathered around the trap and he was laying over, still, eyes half open and glazed over looking. He didn’t move.
But I didn’t trust him so I took him all the way to my favorite release spot.
He was very much alive when I opened the trap door!
They really do “play possum”!
:eek::lau
Compared to Australian possums, they're very scary

6598536-1x1-940x940.jpg

Back
Top Bottom