Kat’s Journey into Chicken Keeping

Pics
A CHICKEN STORY 🐓
Princess Chicken has her own “coop” in her own run inside the big run.
I originally made it for the younger chicks to integrate them into my original flock of four.
I was going to remove it, but all the chickens enjoyed running through it.
Then Princess had her injury (her crippled leg which twists out). The other chickens picked on her, stole food from her, several would gang up on her (my three red girls), and she couldn’t compete, so I put her in that small coop and run. She is sort of with the flock but yet she’s not. She has her own food, water, grit, oyster shell, and straw, and a small log.
Well, there is a small space where the ceiling wire is gaping from the hardwire wall, and Blanche has figured out how to get inside through this space.
I started finding her in there at some point every day. I usually take her out. But I noticed she likes Princess and she is nice to her. So I let her “visit” a bit.
She has started laying her eggs in a nest she hollowed out in the straw. (I keep straw in there because Princess has to nest, she can’t roost with one leg.)
So now every day I find two eggs in there, each in the mom’s personal nest.
Tonight I went out to close up the coop. I got out there later than usual so it was already dark, and this is what I found...
View attachment 2549616View attachment 2549617
❤️❤️:hugs
This made me cry. You are a special lady Blanche. 🥰🥰🥰

A CHICKEN STORY 🐓
Princess Chicken has her own “coop” in her own run inside the big run.
I originally made it for the younger chicks to integrate them into my original flock of four.
I was going to remove it, but all the chickens enjoyed running through it.
Then Princess had her injury (her crippled leg which twists out). The other chickens picked on her, stole food from her, several would gang up on her (my three red girls), and she couldn’t compete, so I put her in that small coop and run. She is sort of with the flock but yet she’s not. She has her own food, water, grit, oyster shell, and straw, and a small log.
Well, there is a small space where the ceiling wire is gaping from the hardwire wall, and Blanche has figured out how to get inside through this space.
I started finding her in there at some point every day. I usually take her out. But I noticed she likes Princess and she is nice to her. So I let her “visit” a bit.
She has started laying her eggs in a nest she hollowed out in the straw. (I keep straw in there because Princess has to nest, she can’t roost with one leg.)
So now every day I find two eggs in there, each in the mom’s personal nest.
Tonight I went out to close up the coop. I got out there later than usual so it was already dark, and this is what I found...
View attachment 2549616View attachment 2549617
❤️❤️:hugs

Awww, this was so touching and sweet :hugs :hugs

This made me cry. You are a special lady Blanche. 🥰🥰🥰
Awww, this was so touching and sweet :hugs :hugs
I have become really attached to Blanche. She is a sweetheart with a big personality.
She does something to make me laugh every day.
It’s ironic, when I bought her as a tiny peep I thought I was buying a Buff Orpington. I THOUGHT I didn’t want any leghorns (they were selling them too). Obviously I was clueless.
🥰:idunno:plbb:jumpy

I have become really attached to Blanche. She is a sweetheart with a big personality.
She does something to make me laugh every day.
It’s ironic, when I bought her as a tiny peep I thought I was buying a Buff Orpington. I THOUGHT I didn’t want any leghorns (they were selling them too). Obviously I was clueless.
🥰:idunno:plbb:jumpy
You already know how dear leghorns are to me. It is things like this and the laughter they bring that makes them so endearing. Blanche is representing the best of Leghorns. You should be very proud of her.

I THOUGHT I didn’t want any leghorns (they were selling them too). Obviously I was clueless.
Just goes to prove that chickens have individual personalities. :love Same with other pets like dogs and cats. Each is different with different amounts of affection for their owners, regardless if in same breed.
Typical attitude of leghorns, is,,,, flighty, and to themselves. Still not bad at that.:thumbsup... I'm talking about my leghorn that I had. I named her LUCKY, because got her from the butcher. Took her home live.. 20 years+ ago, that is where my chickens came from. Grown hens, from the BUTCH. I then transitioned to the Chicken Swap meets.

Just goes to prove that chickens have individual personalities. :love Same with other pets like dogs and cats. Each is different with different amounts of affection for their owners, regardless if in same breed.
Typical attitude of leghorns, is,,,, flighty, and to themselves. Still not bad at that.:thumbsup... I'm talking about my leghorn that I had. I named her LUCKY, because got her from the butcher. Took her home live.. 20 years+ ago, that is where my chickens came from. Grown hens, from the BUTCH. I then transitioned to the Chicken Swap meets.
You are 100% right about that. All nine of my chickens have their own distinct personalities, likes and dislikes, and attitudes.

I have had amazing leghorns. Personable, curious, smart, trainable, funny, in my business, and even some lap chickens. I think what drives people nuts about them is the combination of curious with the ability to fly. I see them called escape artists and flighty. They are not big docile ladies. They need engagement. Possibly the worst hens to choose to keep in confinement, even cages.

ANOTHER ONE!
Here we go again!
Got the trap set, and now I wait!
1B7240A7-7C50-453B-851C-BB8AA29C8775.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom