Kate and Gary's Happy Hens - new members

kandghappyhens

Hatching
Jul 18, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Hi, everybody! Gary and I played together as kids, went our separate ways, got married, (I) had kids, got divorced, re-met in 2006, fell in love and started raising chickens around 2008. We married in 2011.

We live in town (275,000 pop.) on a double lot and absolutely love raising chickens! We usually add 4 chicks a year, though this year we added 6. We raise them solely for eggs and claim we have an "old folks home" for hens! Doesn't make fiscal sense, but just can't kill them when they stop laying.

Thank you! I forgot to mention how many hens we have. We currently have 12 full grown and 5 "teenagers". The sixth chick (an Americana) turned out to have a cross-beak and was culled out by the other five chicks, as they all got bigger. At least that's what we assume happened.
Glad to have found this group!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your cross beak!
hugs.gif
The flock knows when one of their members is sick. In the wild, sick flock members attract predators. So this sort of thing can happen. And in the future, this can also be a warning to you that someone else is sick in the flock if you notice merciless pecking and attacking to another.

Great to have you aboard! Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our roost! :)

Thank you! I forgot to mention how many hens we have. We currently have 12 full grown and 5 "teenagers". The sixth chick (an Americana) turned out to have a cross-beak and was culled out by the other five chicks, as they all got bigger. At least that's what we assume happened.
Glad to have found this group!

Thank You!

Back
Top Bottom