Kate and Gary's Happy Hens - new members

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kandghappyhens, Jul 18, 2016.

1. kandghappyhens

kandghappyhens New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    Lincoln, NE
    Hi, everybody! Gary and I played together as kids, went our separate ways, got married, (I) had kids, got divorced, re-met in 2006, fell in love and started raising chickens around 2008. We married in 2011.

We live in town (275,000 pop.) on a double lot and absolutely love raising chickens! We usually add 4 chicks a year, though this year we added 6. We raise them solely for eggs and claim we have an "old folks home" for hens! Doesn't make fiscal sense, but just can't kill them when they stop laying.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. The two of you are living proof that love will find a way. What is meant to be shall be.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. kandghappyhens

kandghappyhens New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    Lincoln, NE
    Thank you! We feel the same way!

5. kandghappyhens

kandghappyhens New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    Lincoln, NE
    Thank you! I forgot to mention how many hens we have. We currently have 12 full grown and 5 "teenagers". The sixth chick (an Americana) turned out to have a cross-beak and was culled out by the other five chicks, as they all got bigger. At least that's what we assume happened.
    Glad to have found this group!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry about your cross beak! [​IMG] The flock knows when one of their members is sick. In the wild, sick flock members attract predators. So this sort of thing can happen. And in the future, this can also be a warning to you that someone else is sick in the flock if you notice merciless pecking and attacking to another.

Great to have you aboard! Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our roost! :)

7. kandghappyhens

kandghappyhens New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    Lincoln, NE
    Thank you! I forgot to mention how many hens we have. We currently have 12 full grown and 5 "teenagers". The sixth chick (an Americana) turned out to have a cross-beak and was culled out by the other five chicks, as they all got bigger. At least that's what we assume happened.
    Glad to have found this group!

Thank You!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Kate and Gary. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by