Kate's Sassy Seramas

Pics
Quote: X 2. While it's nice to have them go broody (often), there are times I wish they would lay a few more eggs first. Some of my "egg machines" lay fewer than nine eggs and then go broody; I've tried moving them to new quarters in the hope that a few more eggs would be laid-didn't work. Frequent egg collection and rearranging nest boxes does help, but then the coop is in a constant state of upset with the hens looking for new nest sites, disturbing others that are brooding.

X 2. While it's nice to have them go broody (often), there are times I wish they would lay a few more eggs first. Some of my "egg machines" lay fewer than nine eggs and then go broody; I've tried moving them to new quarters in the hope that a few more eggs would be laid-didn't work. Frequent egg collection and rearranging nest boxes does help, but then the coop is in a constant state of upset with the hens looking for new nest sites, disturbing others that are brooding.

Since I'm hatching so many seramas, I did some pen swapping last week. They are now in a double pen, with a fence down the middle that is open now, but can be closed if necessary for smaller ones on one side. The girls have access to 2 boxes and have been using both this week. Now she is sitting in one of them. I'm not positive when she started laying, but I know she hasn't laid very many. (got a slightly bloody egg on 2/3 that I thought was her first)

At this point, I'll try to discourage her. If that doesn't work, I may give her some that are already in the incubator, on day 7 today. Have you ever tried that? She will only need to sit for a couple weeks. Or should I just give her new ones?

Omg all the beautiful babies!!! Last year I went to buy a few Micro Serama Hens and it was my first time getting the chickens so of course I was sold a rooster. Now it is seven months later and my wild man has a mated with my gray naked neck Silkie and these are the babies. Sadly my roo pasted away for unknown reasons The other day but I'm glad to have these babies because I still feel like I have a little piece of him with me. I have no idea what these babies will look like lol

Two of the five are pullets; one black and one a rust red with a white breast and face-a rather unique look. If my Kimmi is feeling better tomorrow I'll ask her to try taking pictures again.

And you're welcome.

I would love to see photos, no rush though.

Omg all the beautiful babies!!! Last year I went to buy a few Micro Serama Hens and it was my first time getting the chickens so of course I was sold a rooster. Now it is seven months later and my wild man has a mated with my gray naked neck Silkie and these are the babies. Sadly my roo pasted away for unknown reasons The other day but I'm glad to have these babies because I still feel like I have a little piece of him with me. I have no idea what these babies will look like lol

Cute! Are any of their neck's naked?? Little black one looks like it has some adorable puffy cheeks!

Yes. She will only need to sit for a couple weeks. As long as she has brooded eggs for a week there should not be a problem. Or should I just give her new ones? Your choice. Either fresh or from the incubator. Being her first time you'll want to watch to make sure she is doing as she should with the chicks. Most are great mothers, but every once in the while I get one that's a complete ditz (those I eliminate from my flock-no shortage of people who wants the ditzs for pets/eggs).

Thanks for that. Luckily, she was off the nest this morning. There was an egg in the box, but it was pretty cool, so I assume she was just laying late, and got caught in the box at dark.

And LOL at ditzy mommas. Very true.

I also found a new egg out in the run this morning. It was still very warm! I'm betting all 6 of my pullets are laying now.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom