Kate's Sassy Seramas

This little lady is just started checking out the nest box! She's very similar in color to my hen - love these girls
1f495.png

She really is lovely. Hopefully you'll get some eggs any day now!

My hens/pullets often act as your #2 for a day or so. It does not seem to harm the eggs any, but I count out the incubation time when the hen starts brooding full time; usually the eggs hatch. If they are clear on the 4th day candling I give them a fresh clutch. I rarely have to do this, and when I do, it is always a first time pullet that has ruined her eggs.

When you candle on day 4 and find some eggs that are clear, do you add additional eggs? Wouldn't it be hard to stagger hatch with a broody?

Always something! My Tribbles (silkied serama) started laying a couple months ago. One of the two pullets has since brooded and raised chicks-now she is brooding again. The second pullet has laid eggs too-sometimes in a nest and other times any old where. Many of the eggs had no shell. Her diet is complete so I'm quite sure the problem is not dietary. Yesterday I found that she had gone broody which rather surprised me in that I have never had a hen go broody that did not consistently lay in one nest. Have any of you had this happen? Obviously a reproductive problem. I'm rather baffled at the soft shelled eggs and even more so that many of the eggs were just laid on the floor; even the last egg laid before going broody. Any ideas? I wonder if egg laying is a painful endeavor that makes her leave the nest in distress.

Hopefully, broodiness will give the hen's body time to repair whatever the problem is.

Also, I have a microserama who goes into a nest box almost daily, spends a great deal of time scratching out and constructing a nest, looks and acts about to lay, but does not lay any eggs (that I know of). This has been going on for months. Ideas?

Neither pullet show any kind of symptoms and appear quite healthy.

Last edited:
Always something! My Tribbles (silkied serama) started laying a couple months ago. One of the two pullets has since brooded and raised chicks-now she is brooding again. The second pullet has laid eggs too-sometimes in a nest and other times any old where. Many of the eggs had no shell. Her diet is complete so I'm quite sure the problem is not dietary. Yesterday I found that she had gone broody which rather surprised me in that I have never had a hen go broody that did not consistently lay in one nest. Have any of you had this happen? Obviously a reproductive problem. I'm rather baffled at the soft shelled eggs and even more so that many of the eggs were just laid on the floor; even the last egg laid before going broody. Any ideas? I wonder if egg laying is a painful endeavor that makes her leave the nest in distress.

Hopefully, broodiness will give the hen's body time to repair whatever the problem is.

Also, I have a microserama who goes into a nest box almost daily, spends a great deal of time scratching out and constructing a nest, looks and acts about to lay, but does not lay any eggs (that I know of). This has been going on for months. Ideas?

Neither pullet show any kind of symptoms and appear quite healthy.

Hmm I don't have any solid advice but I have a question. How long has the second one been laying for? 2 things come to mind.

1] she just may have longer to go for her body to adjust to egg laying. Though it is peculiar she is brooding without consistently laying non deformed eggs.
2] if her diet is complete and she's getting enough calcium, I would just keep in mind some chickens have absorption issues. Maybe you're feeding the correct feed but there's a mineral or vitamin she is having trouble absorbing. I would go looking for links for you but I'm on mobile and it's quite difficult for me. Do a little search and see what you come up with.
3] Funny that she never lays in the nest. My third serama [the only one not yet broody] also does not lay where the others do. I don't know why either. There was a fake egg in the nest and the other 2 got the hint but she never did. She still mainly lays in one corner of the cage, sometimes random places too. I hope it's not that it's it's a painful even for her like you suspect of yours.

Broodiness can be really hard on a chickens body. Both on her reproductive organs and her general physical state. She's locked into one position most of the day and is constantly on and let making sure she defends any perceived threat to her eggs.

Anyway, I really hope she gets it worked out. And really glad she's trying trying to be a mommy tho!

As far and let's your 3rd pullet goes... who knows? I suppose with her being a micro she just may be infertile. I have no experience of this on my own but have read sometimes you'll get a tiny pullet that just doesn't lay eggs. She may still have the hormones and the instinct telling her that she needs to make a nest and sit in it, but her body may may not be capable of actually producing eggs. But this is just me theorizing. She'll probably lay an egg tomorrow! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom