Kate's Sassy Seramas

Pics
fl.gif
Good luck. I'll be starting 3 dozen large breed eggs in our incubator this weekend. I dislike using it as disaster always strikes. But my wife... My little bantams can in no way brood so many huge eggs. She bought a dozen hatching eggs and then bought a dozen large breed hens---so now she has 3 dozen + to be incubated.

I need to get an accurate thermometer. Any opinion on where and what kind?

Awesome! Good luck to you also.

Brinsea Spot Check is a good one, but on the expensive side. Best bet are the ones made for reptile cages or aquariums, get at the pet store.

The coloration is unique-I've never seen another like it-cream colored head slowly blending into darker shades becoming a rich coffee brown on the tail and wing tips. The picture does not show the true colors well. She is one of my favorite never-to-be-sold birds. I'm hoping her next clutch of eggs hatch when she goes broody again in a month or so.

Kate-I have another small (tiny) chick. It's 14 grams going on 4 weeks of age. The body size is hardly bigger than when it hatched (10 grams  when it hatched). Frizzle feathering is growing in and the chick appears healthy....but... I know serama can be very small-still worrisome. Any thoughts as to what might be wrong-if anything?  The foster mother appears to be getting ready to lay again so I will have to foster the chick to a different hen. I've a broody with only two viable eggs hatching  this weekend so finding a new foster mom will be easy.

I agree! I wish her type of coloring was in my flock!!

On the small chick, it may be genetically small etc. I had one like that who unfortunately passed due to the small size. I think that it's organs didn't have enough room. So I always breed for small seramas, but everyonce and awhile I breed back to a larger hen. Hope this helps!!

:fl Good luck. I'll be starting 3 dozen large breed eggs in our incubator this weekend. I dislike using it as disaster always strikes. But my wife... My little bantams can in no way brood so many huge eggs. She bought a dozen hatching eggs and then bought a dozen large breed hens---so now she has 3 dozen + to be incubated.

I need to get an accurate thermometer. Any opinion on where and what kind?

I have a good one. I'll post the link later.

Quote:
Thank you. My little roo, Tiny Tim, was much the same as this newer chick, but to a bit lesser degree; He has grown a little and seems healthy. With a bit of luck the little chick will also start growing a little and be healthy too. I'm hoping it will be a hen-then Tiny will have a tiny mate.

I have it in my head to start a new breeding program-I've been wanting to get turkeys again for some time. I'm hoping to get midget whites-then work to get the small size and the coloration of the Royal Palm. Now to find a source for hatching eggs from the two breeds!!

Last edited:
[COLOR=FF0000]Thank you. My little roo, Tiny Tim, was much the same as this newer chick, but to a bit lesser degree; He has grown a little and seems healthy. With a bit of luck the little chick will also start growing a little and be healthy too. I'm hoping it will be a hen-then Tiny will have a tiny mate.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]I have it in my head to start a new breeding program-I've been wanting to get turkeys again for some time. I'm hoping to get midget whites-then work to get the small size and the coloration of the Royal Palm. Now to find a source for hatching eggs from the two breeds!![/COLOR]

That would be really cool!

Quote: I've found a source for the Royal Palm Turkeys; now to find Midget Whites.

Kate-I'm well pleased with my two frizzle cockerels from your eggs-they are looking good. Another of my serama (11 ounce) hatched two more EEs for my wife and a serama chick. Another of my smallest serama eggs has pipped so I'm hoping there will be two serama chicks by morning. This last chick will be a micro if it succeeds in hatching.

Have you noticed with your smallest birds that the eggs take a bit longer to hatch and the chicks take considerably longer to mature? Being smaller a person would think just the opposite would occur, but that is what I am seeing with my small A/Micro birds.

I've found a source for the Royal Palm Turkeys; now to find Midget Whites.

Kate-I'm well pleased with my two frizzle cockerels from your eggs-they are looking good.  Another of my serama (11 ounce) hatched two more EEs for my wife and a serama chick. Another of my smallest serama eggs has pipped so I'm hoping there will be two serama chicks by morning. This last chick will be a micro if it succeeds in hatching.

Have you noticed with your smallest birds that the eggs take a bit longer to hatch and the chicks take considerably longer to mature? Being smaller a person would think just the opposite would occur, but that is what I am seeing with my small A/Micro birds.

Good luck! And that's interesting. I'll have to pay more attention as I get smaller ones.

I had a horrible hatch from my shipped eggs. Dang post office! Only hatched 2 of 8 that started growing. 2 quit on day 8, 6 locked down. One pipped big, then quit! One hatched fine, the other I assisted and it's fine. 3 DIS around day 19. :(
I also set one first-egg from one of my girls (she laid it the day after I set the incubator lol) and it hatched. Luckily I had a much better rate of success with my bantam cochins. 9 of 11 hatched.

Quote: The single egg hatched as did another EE-YEAH!!! So now I have 2 serama hens caring for 3 EEs, 2 serama, and a week old mini that needed a new mom in a plastic tub in the kitchen. One more EE egg to go to make a 100% hatch.

My serama wean their chicks too soon. Each mini chick has to be fostered to a new hen at three weeks old as they grow that much slower than other serama chicks.

Back
Top Bottom