Katy I went to Orscheln's today..

They had bins of them at the one I went to. RIR, Buff Orps, Black Sex-links, Barred Rocks, SLW, a few ducks, they are expecting EE, and a sign said NH, but it had some BOs in the cage. They had a few mixed bantams, and another empty cage but I can't remember what it was labled.

If it is quite a drive I would call just to be sure how yours is handling it.

edited to add:

I know I heard that TSC is going to have them this year. They are everywhere! Be careful or you will come home with some fluffy butts!

Last edited:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30026529&id=1127173702#pid=30026530

The
above address is pictures of my chicks. I bought four- I couldn't resist. They really don't like being handled yet. (Probably got handled too much by strangers).

I saw some at Orscheln's here in Jefferson City and the chicks wer mostly mixed together. They had some labeled black sex link pullets, but some had white spots on their heads meaning they were male. Also the chicks I got were labelled 'cuckoo maran' straight run', but when I got them home and checked the chick pics websites, they looked nothing like them. I'm guessing they are Old English Game, Speckled Sussex, or Americauna.

Still they are very cute, but MAN do they POOP! And it stinks too!

The same day I got my chicks my son started getting sick and had croup that night. The next day we took him in and he had Influenza A and left pneumonia! So neither of us have been able to play with the chicks much. Hate to make them sick or my son sicker. It did calm him down when he was croupy to go into the garage where the air is cooler and watch the chicks under the red light brooder. (Being careful not to allow him to cough near them). Today he is feeling better after having a shot of Rocephin Sunday, so he is very interested in helping mommy check on the chicks. But now Mommy has a fever and had to leave work last night with a 101F. Oh, I hope I don't get the full blown flu! I'm already worn after 2 sleepless nights.

Wish me luck with my son and the chicks!

Teddi

Tedd I would say those chicks you got are actually Welsummers! Beautiful babies too!
big_smile.png

http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii232/teddiliza/?action=view&current=418.jpg

Here's
the photobucket link, in case you don't have facebook.

I posted a question on the breed section as to what kind. So far I've got many votes for Welsummer and Speckled sussex.

Today I went to Orschen's to get another reflector, and the chicks were on sale for $1 a piece!

The poor things, one had gotten trampled to death as a result of them trying to stay warm. Another man commented they were too cold. So I kind of repositioned the brooder lights for the poor things. I don't think the store employees really knew much about how to take care of chicks. All the male sex links had pasty butt- they didn't 3 days ago. But the chicks were certainly happy when I left with the warmer light!

It was so hard not to buy more! I asked my dad if he'd like me to raise some, but his place has way too many foxes and coyotes his cats aren't even safe.

Good luck to you others!

Teddi

Well Katy I was right not to say I was going. Because I am not. We have dinner plans now with a friend whose birthday is Leap Day. Sigh...I am never going to get my little Welsummer roo at this rate.

Back
Top Bottom