Kauai'a Chicken Population!! Out of control!

ponygal12

Songster
10 Years
Nov 29, 2009
New Hampshire
Right now, I'm in Kauai, Hawaii. This island is beyond beautiful. From the rugged mountains to the blue oceans. Then there is the chickens. In 1992, Hurricane Iniki freed somany. Since then, they have just been multiplying. They have no predators here, except cars. They are consider hazards! There are so many! I've counted over 600. Have ypou ever seen a chicken struttin' it's stuff on a beach? Or running across a highway? I think it's quite interesting. Oh and the roosters don't stop crowing either. Just wanted to share!

DH and I go in November!! Can't wait, hope you report your trip to us and let me know if there are any must do things!!
Or great things you eat, I'm all about the food!
droolin.gif

My sister and BIL just got back from their honeymoon and made sure to show me some great pictures of the "wild" chickens in Hawaii. One was on the beach. Although it is comical, it is still sad how it got this way!

Quote:
Do you know where you are staying?

Must do's:

See the chickens!(Of course!)
yippiechickie.gif

Drive up the Waimea Canyon(Also known as "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific")

Visit Poi Pu beach, see the monk seals and go snorkeling

Visit any other beach that holds your interest!(Glass Beach and Lidegate are good!)

Take an ocean tour by boat and go whale watching( I would recomend the companies Holo-Holo or Kauai Sea Tours. Don't go if you get sea sick though!
sickbyc.gif
Seas are extremely rough sometimes)

Visit the waterfalls(My favourite is Wailua Falls. 'Opaeka Falls are good too.

See the Spouting Horn and next to it is the Open Air Market.

Take a hike

Got to a Lu'au (Smith's Tropical Paradice is a good one!)

Visit the Hanalei Plantation

Sneek into a 5-star resort and use their luxorious pool! Lol(The Lihue Marriott is a great resort......not that we would know or anything.....)

Buy the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook 7th Edition (Very helpful book!)

Food Must Do's

Jo-Jo's Club House Shave Ice

Try all the Hawaiian fish!

Try Lu'au food

Yes, here is where we are staying....
http://www.summitpacificinc.com/gilligans-beach-cottage.html

Offbeat private place, but we think it will be perfect!! Were you there during the tsunami? I thought of you all and was worried but then it turned out to be just fine, thank goodness!
Thanks for the list, we'll make sure we try as much of it as we can, I do get sea sick though and even helicopter rides make me sick, so we'll have to skip those!!

Back
Top Bottom